WC needed??

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
I have been doing a 25% WC every week on my tank since I put it up. I have had zero problems with it and everything is thriving so I am hesitant to change anything. Currently I am 2 days past due for a WC and my levels are as follows:

Calcium: 440

KH: 9

Phosphate: 0.0

Nitrate: 0.0

Salinity: 31

SG: 1.023

PH: 8.4

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0

I currently have 3 fish, 2 shrimps, zoas, a ricordia, BTA, and feather duster in there. I am only running it on power heads and skimmers with 8 hours of light a day. So I am wondering if I could stretch the WC's out more or if because I am running a small tank with no filtration other then what I listed, I should keep up on weekly WC

With 25% changes you can probably go to once every two weeks without any problems. You could always do it and if you see any of your params getting big swings you could go back to what your doing now.

your salinity seems a little low. most people keep their tanks salinity
at 33 to 35 ppm. but thats not a huge difference and shouldnt hurt anything.

I usually keep my salinity a little higher then that however since I usually have about a 10 gal/week evap rate I try to account for that when I am mixing my salt. If Im not careful I can get my salinity WAY to high. But with the weather colder my evap rate slowed down significantly and I lost maybe 5 gal this week....something I need to account for in the future.

Back