We got a problem here... :/

Do you have an LFS in your area that you trust? You could give them a call and ask for someone to go over to your house and run some diagnostics. It will cost you, but I know my LFS responds to emergency tank calls 24/7.

haha, thanks I appreciate the thought PRC.

But no, I wouldn't ask something of someone I wouldn't even do myself ;P

btw, talked to the gf again,

she has been keeping tabs on the temp ~86-89*, and salinity 1.025-1.026

So its not those gonna try to get a few more tests on the water tho. Ca, Alk, ph.

actually, I think I meant 76-79... I prolly mistyped that because I'm tired... >.<

our thermometer has green from 70-80 and I tell her that the middle(75) to the top of the green(80) is my range... and thats what it is....

Sry my typo xD

I'd call and be certain...there has been a rash of people on the site killing their tanks with hight temps lately..That would certainly explain your issue.

Since Ulta hasn't replied in a bit. I think he found the problem...When he gets done crying I'm sure he'll reply to the thread.

not sure if I found the problem... but the death plague seems to have come to a halt. Frogspawn she says it "looking better" and coming out a little along with my hairy mushroom... zoas are still closed up tho and that bothers me :/

oh btw the porcapilla (my only sps) is completely bleached =( was one of my favs too... my hollywood stunner tho I guess is gonna make it hopefully. All fish are ok..

She completely turned off my carbon filter, so the sump is isolated. Its just the DT with power-heads.

Only thing I can do is wait till I get home in 2 days :/

Are you using a protein skimmer? If not, I'd highly recommend you get one. It'll help maintain your tank. For now, change your water and make sure you properly condition it before you add it in your tank!

Good luck.

Ok guys, I'm back and looking for some more input so I can put this horrible experience behind me and move on....

First thing is first:

pH - ~8.4
Alk - ~2.7 mili eq / L
PO4 - 0.1 ppm
Ca - 400 ppm
NO3 - 20 ppm
NO2 - 0.1 ppm
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm

Salinity/Specific Gravity - 1.025-1.026 (contemplating checking to make sure that my SG meter is accurate...)

Temp - ~77* (Seems to have been 76-79 the whole time, from what I know) Outside temp has been around that every day without too much variation mayb a few colder days of storms. So I don't think temp was an issue.

Some of my corals(zoas) are still closed up, 1 mushroom isn't inflating which is weird for it, my harry mushroom was inflating but had a dull coloring, and my frogspawn is coming out about 1/2 however which is at least giving me a glimmer of light in all of the darkness! ^_^

Fish all seem very healthy! o.0?

I had a brittle star that was about 12in across (Huge) and he died but I can't see his remains anywhere in the tank! Also cleaner shrimp and a number of Asteria Snails died!

Could the ammonia be what is pissing off my corals still?? I don't know how much of an effect it has on the corals but its not effecting the fish too bad. *(I'm continuing doing water changes often 10-20%) And today I added some bacteria supplement after the water change, an attempt to get rid of the ammonia/nitrite faster.

Are you using a protein skimmer? If not, I'd highly recommend you get one. It'll help maintain your tank. For now, change your water and make sure you properly condition it before you add it in your tank!

Good luck.
I did have a cheap skimmer but had taken it down before I left b/c I didn't fit in my sump and was producing lots of bubbles... I thought it would be ok with just my carbon filter for 2 weeks >.<
I do have a small outbreak of cyano tho it seems and I'm assuming this is from the lack of skimming.
I am currently inquiring about an ASM G-3 Skimmer for $100 on local forums. I hope it works out and I can get that on my system ASAP!

Other info I gathered that could help diagnose:

• Recently set up sump with algae scrubber...
  • Algae Scrubber started growing brown, bright green, and dark green algae on it.
  • ***The bedroom window had a opening b/c of the window air conditioner which led quite a few moths,ladybugs and other bugs that got attracted to the light on my sump and they ended up in the sump >.<!*** Could this have been the root of my problem??
  • My tank is looking pretty brown.... mix maybe of some diatoms (possibly from subsequent water changes?) and cyano algae... Not nearly as colorful as I left it =(
Needless to say I completely disconnected my sump took it apart and cleaned it, I'm going to redo some things on it and modify it for my new skimmer.
Just the DT is running with power heads and a cleaned canister carbon filter.
I started supplementing my tank with an oxidizer to help with the dissolved organic matter until I get my skimmer.

My assumptions so far:

So far all I have been able to attempt to conclude is:

• No idea what was the initial cause of all the deaths in my tank, except maybe unless, the bugs that got attracted to the lights on the tank and died in the water released enough of something to cause stuff to die...
  • Currently all that I can figure is to what is still wrong with my tank(and causing my corals harm) is the ammonia/nitrite that I'm still reading.... which has prolly been there for multiple days now at these levels.. Since my gf was reading these same readings a few days before I came home... remind you though my fish are acting just fine...

Any help to diagnose in an attempt to get over this disaster will be greatly appreciated! Once all my corals start opening up and things are looking up I will be relieved and able to start the recovery process >.<!
I really wish I knew the source of all this Madness for sure!

Last edited:
The window open is one thing, you could have had an ammonia spike due to the animals in your sump dying.

Really need to keep the tank isolated from items like that.

Other than that, I would think your lack of a skimmer caused the extent of the problem. All of this could have occurred because of a cycle starting, and your high ammonia could show that. and the brown algae normally comes after a cycle. Thats my best guess.
Good luck :) Hope we dont see this problem again

Back