Wedge's 29gal cube

slwedge71

reef enthusiast
I have had this Oceanic Bio Cube up and going for 3 months now. I was just going to use it as a frag tank but decided to go ahead and do something else with it. Here is the start of the tank.

I ditched the OEM hood and put a JBJUnibody LED light on it. I love this universal light. It is so adjustable!!! You can't beat it!!

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

Tank lights just came on so the 5 star was just coming out. Will get a good pic of it later.

Payday was yesterday so the wife and I sat down and ordered come coral for this tank. Should be here on Tuesday. R2G is having a good sale and couldn't pass up the deals. Had a question though.

How many fish, like damsels and clowns, can a 29g support? This is my first cube so not sure how good the filter works and how big of a bio load it can handle.

3, but not at once.

Edit: If they are all small 4, but even then i find thats pushing it. I have 4 in my 30g, but ideally (in my mind) the clowns would have their own 30 and if they ever start breeding they just might get their own. They just dont seem to all have the space they truly require.

Last edited:
I have goby in there now. Was thinking of a couple clowns and a nem for them and after that just concentrating on grown coral in there.

yeah a pair of clowns could comfortably live their lives in the 29g with a goby :)

You could prob add them at the same time too if you buy as a pair.

A pair would really look nice. I need to add a few more pieces of rock to my tank. It's kind of "boring" atm. Was thinking about trying to make my own like this study group does. Looks simple to do. Just actually have to find the time. Plus if i make my own I don't have to cut or drill any of the rock to make the fragments I want.

Had a huge set back this weekend. My JBJ Unibody light went into the drink (tank). Honestly not sure how it got there. Assuming one of my cats got ballzzzz and tried to jump on it. Anyway, this is what it looks like now.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

Don't try this at home kids!!!!! Luckily the timer had the light set to off and there was no electricity running to the light.

So the OEM hood is back on and I decided to go get a skimmer for it.

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

My GSP has been pissed since the light falling in the tank. I saw a few come out last night but this morning they are all hiding and refuse to come out. I am going to do a 10% water change tonight and hope all is well for the new critters coming tomorrow.

Sorry horrible pictures of the clowns but they never stop moving! But they are cute. I have a video I want to post but have to edit the sound. I have children and dogs barking at one another in the back ground. So will edit out the sound and post in a bit.

Holy crap. Glad your tank is ok, but this is one reason ill stick with dogs. haha
Would you get the unibody again? Ive thought about removing the stock hood and just using a Par 38 bulb on a gooseneck too, but i think im going to do a LED retro instead.

No, a friend of mine has the unibody also and he has to adjust it every couple days. He was shocked when he found out mine dropped in the tank. Even after I said it was more then likely a cat trying to get on top. I think I will just retro fit my stock hood with LED's in a couple of months.

No, a friend of mine has the unibody also and he has to adjust it every couple days. He was shocked when he found out mine dropped in the tank. Even after I said it was more then likely a cat trying to get on top. I think I will just retro fit my stock hood with LED's in a couple of months.

Thanks, sucks to know that they make some nice LEDs, but then use a crappy mounting.

I'm trying not to spend to much money here atm. I'm actually going to do a DIY build here shortly. I want to actually order the acrylic pre-cut and bond it together myself and build the tank from scratch. This was a small set back but still do ok since I still had the stock hood.

Back