weird hippo tang?!?

photokaty

Reefing newb
So just two days ago purchased a smaller blue hippo tang from the LFS, and the first day I brought him home, I turned the lights off to help calm him down while acclimating and instantly he swam up to my overflow box and stuck himself sideways against the slits so he was like squished up against it from the flow. I was really scared and my boyfriend thought he was dead but the last night he did it again as soon as the lights turned off. And now tonight he is "sleeping" in the algae clip in the glass!!! Is this normal??

Attachments

• 2010-11-18_01-56-11_423.jpg
    2010-11-18_01-56-11_423.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,044
Yes! Every Hippo Tang I have had loves to tuck itself away, hiding in the live rock or anywhere else it can find. I had one once lodge itself into a hole in the rock and somehow got itself stuck. I think they are the "clowns" of the Tang family.

Pretty cute and funny but, Dcan is right. I'm always amazed at the small spots I see blue tangs tucked into.

Nothing to worry about. My tang does the same thing. Once, he wedged himself between the bottom of a piece of rock and the sand bed. He stayed there for 8 days without eating (that I could tell). He was there so long that I thought he was dead. I reached in and tried to pull him out by the tail and he started moving! Not sure what freaked him out but eventually he came out and has been fine since. They are funny little guys.

My foxface sleeps on the clip near the water surface sometimes :D Other times, he does the same as your tang, which is stick himself at the overflow slits like a pancake.

My trigger has a chunk of rock shaped like an "O" that he sleeps in. He's almost too big for it now. I wonder what he'll do then.

Back