Weld-On #4 or #16

bojangles93

Reefing newb
I know that it has been briefly thrown out there, but I am building my own refugium for my tank and am having trouble finding something to bond the Acrylic. Does anyone know of where you can get either Weld-On #4 or #16 in Houston?

Thanks

are you talking about for the baffles? Are you using a glass tank? If so, just use a type I silicone for the baffles

I have some acrylic left over from when I built a desk-top so all I had to do was buy a little extra. I also cannot fit a stock tank under my stand so it has to be built from the ground up. Silicone will not bond acrylic correctly from what I understand.

My plan has it at approximately 17.75 gallons MAX capacity for a 55 gal and that is pretty much maxing out the cabinet. All it will be is a refug, so from what I have read and seen that should be adequate.

Well, if you're using a glass tank, you can use more silicone to get the acrylic baffles to stay in place. It's what most of us on the site that have used when building our refugiums. But, if you are using an acrylic tank with acrylic baffles then you will have to use something else.

That what I thought. Surely they would have it. Nope all they had was some stuff I did buy it only cost like 2 buck. supposed to bond polyestrene or soemthing. I thought it would work. Tested is but, have not had any luck so far. I am going to let my test pieces sit overnight and see about it in the morning.

Sucks because I have a bug up my #@$ right now. I am building the homeade overflow from MelevsReef. So far the constructin looks beautiful. I just need to bond it together. If my camera was working I would post pictures of what i have cut and bent so far.

Hopefully you have what you need now, but next time you need something local, ask on www.marshreef.com Several of the local fish stores have it and there are like 4 or 5 local plastic and acrylic companies that sell it. I get mine from a place on Hempstead Hwy for like $8 a tube, plus they have great scrap acrylic prices.

Good luck on your build and show us some pics! I've been wanting to do a few acrylic projects, but I need to get a good table saw again.

Back