Well some advice please

i bought everything i have so far off of craigs list. good prices and most times can find entire setups for 500 or less. in dallas area right now there is a 30 gallon with every thing, lights, sump, fuge, skimmer, pumps, heater, live rock/sand, everything for $250.00 dollars. i want it but the wife is stopping me for now....jonathan

You can definitely save a bunch of cash by using a bit of live sand, and the rest dry aragonite sand (which is a fraction of the price). If you put them in the tank together, the bacteria in the live sand will quickly colonize the "dead" sand. Same with live rock. Buy a couple pieces of live rock, and buy the rest dry (make sure that it is not river rock or lava rock though. It's usually referred to as base rock and most fish stores sell dry base rock as well as live rock).

I would try to get at least 100 watts of lite over that preferably much more! t5 would be good. You want more if your wanting sps. But you can have a beautiful tank full of softies!

Ok guys. IThe Reefpack 200 and Lights are coming in the mail. Not sure when they will get here. Is it ok to go ahead and put the rock and sand in without the reefpack installed or should I wait until I get that?

Back