What are the odds of me pairing a red mandarin with a green mandarin

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
I cannot decided whether i want a green mandarin or a red mandarin, so i asked my local fish store said they said you can put two if they are a mated pair. would it be hard to mate a green mandarin with an orange mandarin

Are you trying to pair two that look like this?
250px-Synchiropus_splendidus_2_Luc_Viatour.jpg

1588-spotted-mandarinfish-scan0003.jpg

Not very good, they are two different species. And i would be concerned about them fighting in your size tank.

As long as one is a male and the other is a female you shouldn't have any issues. You really only need a pair, a mated pair only means that they are mating and producing eggs. They're gonna cost you considerably more for that and you won't be trying to raise them anyway.

+1 BL1 and Hannah. The striped mandarins (the first picture) come in several color varieties, and you can mix and match the colors as long as one is male and one is female. You cannot mix a striped mandarin with a spotted mandarin (the second picture) -- they are two different species.

And BL1 is also right about being a mated pair. There's a difference between a pair and a mated pair. No need to find one that lays eggs (mated). Just a pair that get along are fine.

Thank you so much everyone, bifferwine answered everything I needed to know. You said that they come in different colors, are green and red the only 2 or are there more (I'm not talking about the spotted one)

not impossible, but much less likely. Also unless you have plans to raise the fry, which is very difficult to do, there really isnt much point to a mated pair

Do they hatch every time or is it like the clownfish. I am hoping its like the clownfish were every so often the lay eggs and it's cool to see but the never hatch unles you remove them and put them into another tank

Back