What Are These Brown Specs?

Nanna

Reef Freak
My tank is about 9 months old. For about the last 2 months I have had these brown specks on my rocks, sand and glass. I do water changes once a week. These spots wipe off very easily. When I wipe them off, they don't disintegrate, they keep their shape. My parameters are: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate are all 0, Magnesium 1400ppm, PH 8.2, Salinity 1.027, Calcium 480, KH 12. I have done a 72 hour complete blackout and that didn't help. All of my livestock is doing fine, I haven't had any loses. Can someone please identify these brown specs before they drive me insane?

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 268
Google search looks like what I have! All this time I thought I had some sort of algae. Is it strange that none of the spots are on my corals?

Oh and flatworm exit works great as Smitty said. Just follow the directions exactly and have a large water change ready. When these things die, they release toxins that can wipe out your whole tank.

I also believe that 6-line wrasses are a predator of flat worms.

Will a 6 line Wrasse really eat/wipe out flatworms? Are they compatibable with clownfish, pajama cardinal and green chromis?

Add: I would rather us livestock than a chemical if it will work.

You can also get a turkey baster and siphon them out as you see them...that's what I did before using the flatworm exit...that way, there aren't many in the tank when u started the treatment.

What fish do you have in your tank right now?
6 line will eat them but you have to make it so it is the only food available, lazy if he can get a free meal ticket.
Worked for me, cleaned them all up, no food for ohhh 3 days and he got hungry.

Back