What are these? :O

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
I got these little buggers all around my tank and I have no clue what they are. They are the little white things that have a very distinct swimming pattern in the vid. I turned the pumps off and fed the tank and they all came to the top to feed. Click for vid:

:O They do! But how the hell did I get a tank full of jelly fish? lol At firsh I thought they where some type of aiptasia and when I saw them on the side glasses of the tank I would smear them across with the mag float. It scratched the glass one time.

They come in as hitch hikers. Pretty uncommon to find! They tend to just disappear on their own eventually. I don't think they can hurt anything in the meantime.

those my friend are jellyfish fersure.... from the video it looks like a few of them are creating their own bioluminescence lighting which is way cool! (that means it has like lil rainbow colors/lights running down its body/glowing somewhere.. try turning off all the lights and waiting a bit, sit up the water and see if they glow :) ) however you don't want those in your tank... hmm... the only thing I know of that eats jellys are sea turtles or mola molas, which won't fit in your tank :p you could probably start sucking them out with a turkey baster and either see if your LFS wants them or keep them or kill em...

could they be mini comb jellies perhaps? because if they are they they aren't really jellies LOL. hmm... if they are comb jellies they are gonna eat your pods and other meaty foods....

comb_jelly.jpg

do they look similar to that?

Last edited:
Nope not at all. :( They have an extremely simple structure.

Very much like that. Except imaging the bottom three dots being 3D in a perfect circle and instead of 3 dots there are 8. With stringy legs that conect the top dot to the other 8.

Nvm was going to illustrated with periods but the post auto formats and brings the periods back over where I don't want them. I'll try to illustrate them in Paint later.

Last edited:
Most hydroids will suffocate themselves out in our systems and don't generally require any specific measure to get rid of.

They managed to survie for a while already but from what I have read I would assume the same. However, I guess I really have no reason to worry as everything in my tank seems to be flourashing. Thanks for the info's!

Back