What are these snails? (4 types.. Pictures).

Stangman

Reefing newb
Trying to figure out what these are, and where they came from!

These first 2 I bought when they were smaller, so I know where they came from.
biggrin.gif
Just not sure what they are.. They are pretty large now.. maybe 1.5" tall.. Nevermind the ones mohawk.

snail3.JPG

This next one, I BELIEVE I got from the live rock when I first got it, but he was less than 1 mm big then, about 8 months ago. No idea what he is.

snail4.JPG

THese next two are mysteries.. The black and white one just appeared. I haven't added anything new to the tank in months, except recently a spotted goby, a cleaner shrimp, and 2 coral frags.. I would have seen this black and white on the coral frags, because i saw him the next day, and he's about 0.75" long.. So, no idea!

snail2.JPG

And the other one, just saw him today.. No idea where he came form either. It's MAYBE possible he was in the zoa frags, but it's about .25" big, and I would have though I would have seen him.

snail1.jpg

Just trying to figure out why these zoas aren't opening, so I figure I'd start id'ing some things that i have no clue what or how they came to be.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys

1&2 look like trochus snails.
3 looks like turbo snail
4 (black and white snail) looks like a whelk, I'd remove it as it's not reef safe and will eat other snails.
I cant tell what it is in the last picture.

The last one is a collonista snail. They are in the in the same family as the turbo snail, but they always stay really small. They also reproduce in our aquarium, so you end up with tons. I personally love these guys, they are super cleaners but they dont knock stuff over.

They wouldnt be the cause of your zoas closing up

Thanks guys! No idea where they came from (Except for the big ones).

But I still can't identify that black and white one, nor how he magically appeared. I can't match his picture up to anything!

The shell type is similar, they come in tons of different colors. If you start seeing little ones around then you'll know, they breed very quickly.

Definitely a whelk. I think the last one is too big to be a collonista snail. I can't tell very well on my phone, but google sundial snail. That's a common zoa predator.

Sundial snails seem to have a normal, albeit, perpendicular shell.. This is a longer type snail with more rigid edges and designs on it.

Back