what are you feeding your tank

Yogatoy

Reefing newb
hey there, looking for some imput on feeding, my tank is a 200 gal, with about 13 fish,(Tangs, Damsels, Clown, sand sifter) corels, crabs, 3 anemones, snails. Etc. I have been feeding the tank, 2 spirulina Brine shrimp cubes, 1 Rotifers cube, 2 tsp of Liquid calcium, and 3 tbs of Dt's Premium reef blend. I mix it up with some tank water and squrt it into the tank with a turkey baster. I do this once a day.
What do you think, does this sound correct or should I be doing something different
Thanks
CHris

I don't think you should feed brine shrimp everyday. It doesn't really have a lot of nutritional value. Mysis is better.
Are your tangs getting any vegetation?

I'd swap out the brine for frozen mysis shrimp and also make sure you are using algae sheets or veggies of some kind as Erin suggested.

I switched from feeding mostly brine to mysis and my fish have never been happier! I still do brine every now and then as a treat. I also feed algae sheets a few times a week.

+1 Erin...definitely make sure you're supplementing with algae sheets for the algae eaters. As long as they finish what you put in there within a short period fo time, it should be fine. I hope you have enough live rock in there to grow the bacteria that breaks down the poop and uneaten food.

Like everyone said, it is very inportant to feed your tangs some algie sheets, but it is even more important to do it if u are using carbon in your tank which i don't know if u are or are not, just throwing that out there :p.

Like everyone said, it is very inportant to feed your tangs some algie sheets, but it is even more important to do it if u are using carbon in your tank which i don't know if u are or are not, just throwing that out there :p.

I just have to ask cause i have never herd this before. Why is it more important if you are running carbon?

You may want to think about mixing up the diet as well. My fish don't get the same diet every day. Go to an Asian supermarket, and pick up some RAW flying fish roe. You can freeze it, and take out what you need with a spoon. Dissolve it in some tank water and throw it in. Your fish will go nuts for it, and it is full of protein.

Back