What bulbs to get??

Excellent!
I'm going to talk to Sanjay about these bulbs. According to his tests, they have great PPFD, but the CCT is throwing me off. He lists it in the 19,000K range, which would make these 10K bulbs very blue. These may be really nice bulbs. PAR in the 10K range yet some blue in them. I use 175w Iwasaki 15K's now. Their CCT is right around 15,000K and they are very white.

No, I didn't hear about that, but I'll take some pics of the 500g reef tank at PSU. It's awesome. I don't think he would buy them for the school and I don't think the school has money budgeted for that expense. They only allot a small amount of $ to keep the 2 reef tanks in the HUB center going. I can't remember exactly what they said they get to maintain the tanks, but it's not much.
Sanjay does have a clarion in 1 of his home tanks, but it's not in his home 500g reef.

this is from kevin kohen.

"Greetings,

Thank you for your patience. I would like to apologize for the delay in responding as I was waiting to hear back from Dr. Sanjay Joshi at Penn State University to allow me to provide this information here on RC. These fish were sold with no images or I would be more than happy to post them in this thread.

The Bandit Angelfish Pair are now fully settled into their new home at Penn State. The fish are prominently displayed in the 550 gallon SPS dominated reef aquarium which resides in the HUB-Robeson student union building. Every day around 10,000 Penn State students walk by the aquarium, and this is one of the official stop for the students, and campus tour groups. The University gives several tours a month to elementary and middle school classes, and also host around 20 - 30 different college classes / labs here at the Aquarium per semester which is a great hands on teaching tool. The college classes range from Geo Sciences, Biology, and Oceanography, to Chemistry, Ichthyology, and Marine Ecology.

Their mission is to educate and increase the awareness and understanding of coral reefs, bring the beauty of coral reefs to central Pennsylvania, and hopefully excite future generations of students to do research on coral reefs and to better understand the ecology of this special ecosystem.

I am hoping Sanjay will post some pictures of the pair in the coming weeks here in this thread, and I apologize once again for the inconvenience.

Regards,"

I asked Sanjay about the SPS bulbs. I didn't really get the answer I was hoping for. He said the bulbs are junk and the Iwasaki's 175's I'm using now are a way better bulbs....and are better than most 250w bulbs. The Iwasaki 175w 15K bulb puts out as many photons as some of the high end 400w bulbs.
I guess I'll be sticking with the Iwasaki's. Do you carry those? I've purchased them from HelloLights in the past.

I asked Sanjay about the SPS bulbs. I didn't really get the answer I was hoping for. He said the bulbs are junk and the Iwasaki's 175's I'm using now are a way better bulbs....and are better than most 250w bulbs. The Iwasaki 175w 15K bulb puts out as many photons as some of the high end 400w bulbs.
I guess I'll be sticking with the Iwasaki's. Do you carry those? I've purchased them from HelloLights in the past.

Tell me the lowest price you can find, and I'll beat it.

Back