What color substrate?

EagleEyes

AFT Club Quality Analyst
I realize that this is purely for aethetic value, but i am thinking of getting Black CaribSea Substrate instead of the normal stuff. I just think that the colors of the tank will stand out better and all that. I am struggling with size grain too. Ive heard people say that the small grain makes it hard for particles to get trapped and the system can cycle them easier when they just lie on top of the sand. Ive also heard that good water flow through the sand is good too. Im assuming that the people who say the latter hand not considered the beforementioned persons' theory. Any ideas?

I would so go with smaller grain size. That is why crushed coral is so bad, in my opinion. The particle sizes are so large that crap gets trapped in it. As for the color, I think that is purely up to you.

Do they sell diamond cream? i heard it was a steal. Like a million diamonds for 200 dollars? lol j/k Anyone like Arrested Developement? or remember it?

Oh i forgot about the group. No the TV show. I loove the TV show. Amazon i was not aware of because i dont use it. I knew they had like electronics and that kind of thing.

Try Dr Fostersmith.com for sand.Sand is typically expensive to ship cause of the weight.The 2doc's only charge regular shipping rates.I bought 250 pounds of sand for $17 shipping.

Whats the unit of measurement for sand exactly? A 55 gal needs about 100 lbs for a 4 inch sand bed, so therefor...?

ok i wanted a standard for calculating how many pounds i need. From what you said i will need more or less than 55lbs for sand. (240gal-240lbs of sand, so 55gal-55lbs of sand)

Well I have no idea how much sand that's going to be in my tank. 1 lb per gallon seemed like a nice, round number to me! I suspect I will probably have to buy some more locally.

I am thinking of a 3" sand bed in case i want some sand living organisms. Like gobies or something. Round numbers are awesome and thank you everyone!!

Back