What do I want in a live rock?

thejon

Reefing newb
I'm having a really hard time finding consensus on this. I know that, generally speaking, the nitrifying bacteria make up a large part of what makes the rock "live", but I've read a number of things about worms, crustaceans, stars, etc.

Are those other things desirable; recommended; required? Are they considered "extras" if they show up in my live rock, or should I expect that whatever I purchase includes life like that? Are some super common? Should I expect that if I have "positive" hitchhikers, I will also have to deal with "negative" ones too? If they do come with the rock, will they multiply and spread to my dry rock over time like the bacteria does, or are their numbers more limited?

Thanks!

Nitrifying bacteria is the only thing you need on the rock for it to be considered "live".

The other things you have listed (worms, crustaceans, stars) are hitchhikers, and they come in both positive and negative versions. They will also spread to your other rocks.

+1 ErinCahir
Just to add, the benefit of having live rock in your tank as a biological filtration and refuge for fish and inverts far outweigh the "what if" I get a negative hitchhiker.

So, I suppose my question then needs to be; when I purchase live rock, should I try and aim for something that is suspected to have these hitchhikers, or does it not matter much overall? Obviously there's the risk of unwanted critters too; but how much benefit do I get from the "good" hitchhikers, above what the bacteria I want provides?

If you buy "live rock" then the potential is there whether you are looking for the hitchhikers or not. You may notice a hitchhiker right away or it may be weeks before you see one. I look at the quality of the rock and nothing else.

Most live rock carries the risk of unwanted hitchhikers; thankfully they're usually fairly easy to get rid of.

"Good" hitchhikers (which includes pods, microbrittle stars, macro algae, mini feather dusters, bristleworms, etc) can be food for your fish, parts of your clean up crew or just pleasant to look at.

I would say that if you buy live rock from any place other than Tampa Bay Saltwater, your changes of getting a ton of hitchhikers (good or bad) decreases substantially as they often die in transport. Whatever you do, don't buy your live rock from Aquatic Connections - it will arrive mostly dried out, hitchhikers will be dead, and it won't be anything near the quality that is described on their site.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I don't see myself being able to spend nearly $10 per pound; but hopefully I can find some decent live rock locally to seed this tank. Worst case, I'll slowly build out my own cleaning crew.

I have bought live rock and dry rock all local. I kinda like to pick out my rocks. Look on craigs list you will find people taking down tanks and selling off rock all the time.

Look on craigs list you will find people taking down tanks and selling off rock all the time.

I saw a couple there too; but I was worried about nuisance algae and other pests being introduced right from the start. That, combined with my general lack of knowledge about what I was looking for, I'm afraid I'd end up buying rock that is totally not suitable for my tank.

My thought was to buy dry rock from reefrocks, and then a small amount of live rock locally.

Unfounded worry?

Nope, go with your plan. Every time I am in a pet store I look at the salt tanks. Even if its a place I wont buy stock from and every time I am pointing out to people stuff that is wrong. Frags with aiptasia on them, frags with majos. Live rock tanks with gorilla crabs running around. If you cant identify bad stuff play it safe. Mainly dry and just a few live rocks from a good source. Will save you money in the end anyway.

TBS rock is $5/lb which is way better than anything you'll get at your LFS.
"The Package" costs a lot more but you are getting EVERYTHING you need. Sand, clean up crew (snails, hermits, stars, cucumbers), rock, and a ton of sweet extras like sponges, gorgonians, stars, urchins, etc.
It's actually a really good deal if you can afford to get it all at once.
They do dry rock too if you want mix it up to ease the pain to your wallet.

Live rock at my LFSs costs $12 to $14 a pound. The price of live rock will vary area to area, but $8 a pound and up is not uncommon and is a pretty reasonable price.

Back