what do your nano tanks have??

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I am curious to see what you guys use for skimmers on your nano tanks. Is a skimmer needed at all for a 29 gallon reef? Do you guys run power filters? Or just skimmers live rock, live sand and powerheads? I have a Rio nano skimmer running on my 29g. Is this skimmers too small for my tank? I supplement with a lot of filter feeder food bc I have a flame scallop. Should I invest in a better skimmer? If so what kind? Also how often to you guys do water changes on your nano tanks? I wanna see what everyone else does with their tanks and compare if I'm doing alright if that makes sense. I guess I'm just curious :) so tell me what you got and what you do!

I have an Aqua C Remora protein skimmer on my tank, 100+ lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs of live sand, and the pumps for circulation. I do a 5 gal water change every other week.
A 29 gal doesn't need a skimmer if you're doing frequent water changes....and you don't need an external filter if you have enough live rock for the beneficial bacteria.

I have an Aqua C Remora protein skimmer on my tank, 100+ lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs of live sand, and the pumps for circulation. I do a 5 gal water change every other week.
A 29 gal doesn't need a skimmer if you're doing frequent water changes....and you don't need an external filter if you have enough live rock for the beneficial bacteria.

100+ lbs of live rock how can you fit that in a 30? O.o would you like any water with that rock hehe

skimmers are unnecessary in nanos as long as you stay frequent with your water changes , i water change my 10 gallon every week , i have a Marineland 350 filter that i used to use on my 75 Gallon so the water turnover is awesome

a paper towel will do about the same work a skimmer would do in a 29 like yours, all you have to do is put it at the top of the water and let it soak up the oily film

Jcegt87 you really think my skimmer doesn't do anything for my tank? It has that dark nasty grime in the cup...so I figured it was taking something bad outta my tank? I have about 40 lbs of live rock and 15-20lbs of live sand. Is that sufficient? I turned my aqua clear power filter off bc I figured it was unless and there isn't very much water movement at the waters surface now. I think I'm going to move my right powerheads up so its moves the surface to get rid of that oil. I have noticed a oily film.

If the skimmer is pulling some dark crap out the tank, then I'd say leave it be...it's doing ir's job. And I believe you have enough rocks and sand in there also. If you want to still use your filter for water surface movement, just remove ask the filters and let it just move the water.

agreed with smitty if its pulling black stuff leave it , but its not a big deal if you dont use it because its a small tank regular water changes should be suffice

Yea I will leave it. Won't hurt right lol I turned the filter off and re positioned one of my powerheads so it is moving the surface of the water. And it gives my room a shimmering glow :)

The Rio Nano takes some work to tweak it. I am still using it in a different tank in another office. Remember it also has an additional filter in it that has charcoal in it. I think it works great for the money and would buy it again if needed. You don't always need to spend hundreds of dollars for a name. If the fish are happy it's working. :Cheers:

I don't have a skimmer running on my 28, I just have filter floss in the overflow chamber to collect the crap on the surface and do 10g water changes every 1-2 weeks.

Toolman I like how to acts as a filter as well. I have a piece of sponge in there actually. I wish the flow was stronger for it though. O have it set on the strongest flow into the tank.

I used to have power filters on my tank, but the nitrates would never get in check. Now that I have the Aqua C Remora skimmer (like Smitty) I have no problem with Nitrates. I had to ditch the filter. I just use it now to help mix my water.

In my 24 I have no skimmer. Plenty of live rock and sand. The rear chambers house a sponge at the overflow, ceramics, and a return pump. Inside the tank, a pair of Koralia 2 powerheads.

Back