What is it?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I have a bunch of these recently.

_DSC3019.jpg

Those are majano anemones. Best eliminate them while you can. They are pests. My tank is over-run with them (nothing will eat them). Get rid of them the same way you would aiptasia -- injecting them with lemon juice, boiling water, salt paste or kalk paste.

...And yes, I've tried all the "recommended" methods above, but I have a strain of bullet proof majanos in my tank, and nothing kills them.

If they are isolated on one rock, your best bet may be to remove the rock and let it dry out or boil it to make sure you kill them.

This is from melev's reef:

I've been asked how they were removed. My system was to boil some RO water (rather than tap water), and suck this up into a syringe. Injecting each majano with boiling water allowed me to scrape them off one by one with a dental tool. Some were siphoned out with thin flexible tubing. In the meantime, a product called "Joe's Juice" promises to kill majanos without detriment to the reef. I've not tried it myself since these are no longer in my tanks.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html

Joe's Juice has been a temporary fix, I've found. Same with Aiptasia X, Aiptasia Kill, and the other half dozen products that claim to kill aiptasia.

With those products, I found that it made the majano disappear, so it looked like it was dead. But a day or two later, there'd be a majano again in the exact same spot where it was before. Or, even worse, two or more where there was only one the previous day.

I even tried doubling the dose injected into them (I believe the box says 1 syringeful per anemone, which is ALOT! Twice that is way overkill). None of those things worked for majano.

This is what I tell everybody...
Take about $20, go to the LFS, get a Klein's Butterfly.
Add to tank, and enjoy the evil death these pests suffer. The fish will eat pellets and about any other food you would normally feed after the pests are gone. Why waste cash on Joes Juice, which IS at best, a temporary fix, which will also piss off your corals if you drip any onto them...
Just my $0.02

Klein you say? Hmmm... i guess I'll have to look out for one of those. My tank is a bit small but maybe he can do his job and then go to someone with a bigger tank.

let us know how it works, because until now, no-one has reported any fish that successfully eats these pests. Ironically, since the last time I read about biff's mejano's I discovered some in my fuge and have witnessed the same problem. the Aip X causes them to dissappear and then before you know it there are two where there was once one.

let us know how it works, because until now, no-one has reported any fish that successfully eats these pests. Ironically, since the last time I read about biff's mejano's I discovered some in my fuge and have witnessed the same problem. the Aip X causes them to dissappear and then before you know it there are two where there was once one.
actually, I went to a conference where Scott Michael gave a lecture..... and he said it was proven that a filefish would eat majano....

personally, I've had good luck with joe's juice killing them permanently.... make sure you turn off your pumps... cover the majano with it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes... I don't think i've ever had one come back from the dead!

Filefish, eh?? Too bad most of them are so damn ugly!! I'd get one though, if it got rid of my majano. Although the butterfly may eat them, there's also a good enough chance it'll eat my corals, and that's enough to keep me from getting one of those.

So it looks like your best bet is to get a filefish and a klein's, so that you have a better chance of SOMETHING eating them. It would be worth a shot...if I cared anymore... ;)

So it looks like your best bet is to get a filefish and a klein's, so that you have a better chance of SOMETHING eating them. It would be worth a shot...if I cared anymore... ;)
What do you mean? you aren't giving up are you? You should go take a look at the tank in the Alphagraphics on Palo Verde. They stopped caring, and it is an aiptasia wasteland. It's the worst reef display I have ever seen, and the worst part of it, is that you can tell from the skeletons that the tank once had some nice corals...

Back