What is next...?

Ok first calm down take a deep breath its gonna be ok I promise now test your trates and your phos get the lvels on those you dont want to bring your alk down unless it is too high. Water change will help other than that you can try something that will filter your water such as a type of phosban or something to that nature. get you some snails and you should have a star or two already due to all the LR you purchased. How long are your lights on during the day?

Well you have big tank so I would say you would be alright with a small chance of a mini cycle. If you want to be safe wait fir about 1 to 2 more weeks. Just my 0.2 though.

What are your perameters? The alge is normal for a new tank so dont freak out over it. If you continue doing water changes, and the proper husbandry it will clear up in time. If you start adding more fish then your problem could get worse , because the fish you add the its going to comprimise your water in this early stage. Wait about 1 more week and you should be fine. If you fell you have to add now the clowns will be fine and the blenny probably will to but your taking a chance with the blenny.

Here is my water parameters... I feel like it's degrading....

Water Temp: 78 Degrees
Salinity: 1.023
Phosphate: 0.00
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite:(NO2) 0
Nitrate:20

Maybe I should mix up some water and do a water change.....??? I m not really supposed to change more then 20-25% with fish in it right?

Jellyman, i am breathing now... LMAO..... Hum.. If I don't get a blenny now, then a brittle star or a serpent star just like bifferwine stated right?? Would it be ok for me to add it this week end? Or again, Should I wait...? Which of the 2 start is better to clean up? Which of the 2 is a hardy?? The serpent star almost scares me.. it looks freaky to me....The legs seems so long.... Can the crawl out of my tank???lol... Also, how do you acclimate star? is the drip method ok? How to you handle a star? Can i take it in a fish net? Can it be out of water for me to put it from the bag to a bucket??? And from the bucket to the tank? And how do you take it from the bag to the bucket and from the bucket to the tank.... in a fish net??? I ain t touching this thing!!!!

And Bobby, i'll listen to you on this one... For the Blenny, I rather not take a chance.... better be safe then be sorry....

No dont add anything at this time. Your cycle is starting over again probably just a mini cycle though from the added bioload. Deffinetly dont add a star, from what I understand the nitrites will burn there feet off. You dont have nitrites yet but when the amonia goes down you will see a spike of nitrites. When you are ready to add the star the drip method should do fine.

Hum, so the best thing to do for now is a 20?-25% water change right??? Will mix up some water today... Every how long should I make a water change??/ Every week???? I just changed almost 50% last saturday ( I had no fish in it yet)....

nope just let it be, you have good water params as for your star you have those already you just done see em all that rock you purchased there are bound to be stars in your tank its just going to take time for you to see them the majority of them are nocturnal feeders you can handle them with your hands they wont hurt you. Its kinda cool feeling actually.

Bobby, this is how my lights are running...
7-8am 4 x 54W Actinic T5's(2x420nm) (2x460nm).
8am-10pm 4X54W Actinic T5's(2x420nm)(2x460nm) + 2 x 150HQI 10K Metal Halide.
10pm-11pm 4x 54W Actinic T5's (2x240nm) (2x460nm).
11pm-7am Lunars (9 blue- 9 whites).

wow thats alot of light time total 14 hrs could be the reason your algae is growing so quick you may want to tone down a few hrs.

Well. i wake up at 7:30. And go to bed around 12:30am... So I love to see my tank.... lol... How can i cut down the lights???

Can I put the Actnitic lights on at 8:00am instead of 7:00am?

So from 8:00am to 9:00am. Actntic.
9:00am-9pm???? Act. + Halide
9pm-10 Act.
10-8am lunars

?????nWould that be any better?

I know you like looking at your tank but your not going to be able to see it if you cant see through the algae you may have to cut back more than that that is just to see if it eases up.

Your going to sooner or later have algae outbreaks weather you turn lights off now or not. I would cut the lighting down to atleast 8 hours a day untill you add corals. And just because you have live rock doesnt mean there are stars, there is a chance though. I have never gotten any stars from my live rock. Untill your tank is done cycling I wouldnt add anything yet. The main key here is to be patiant.

sxy
Try this out,,After you turn your lights off. Take a small flashlight with either a red or blue lens and see what kind if critters you can find back in the dark places in your rock.
I actually like mine better after lights out.

I agree with Bobby, keep your lights on for 8 hours a day. I also have never gotten a starfish in any of my live rock (and I have about 125 lbs).

The starfish are more sensitive to water parameters than fish. So adding a star will be more risky than adding a fish. They will disintigrate if nitrates are too high.

My lawnmower blenny does not eat green hair algae. He only eats the brown algae, so one may not do any good for the kind of algae you have. Like someone else said, going through a series of algae outbreaks is normal in the beginning.

I am battling green hair algae myself right now. The only way to get it under control is to lower your phosphates to 0 and get your nitrates as low as possible. Algae need a few things to grow: light, nitrates and phosphates. You need to take multiple actions, by depriving it of light, and starving it of nitrates and phosphates it will die off on its own.

The only animal I have found that eats the green hair algae is a sea hare. They are very sensitive to water parameters and some will release a purple toxin when stressed, so I wouldn't recommend one for a new tank :( But mine does an excellent job of cleaning off whats left of my algae from the rocks.

Algae takes A LONG TIME to get rid of! My outbreak happened about 5 months ago and it is still not under control, but it is getting better. You may not be able to see your tank, but at least algae isn't hurting anything. Don't stress too bad over it, you'll slowly get it under control.

Back