What is ORP. for dummies

mm2meyer

Reefing newb
Ok So I've been looking at getting a controller and the one I want comes with a free ORP meter. I had no clue as to what that was and started researching it. The best I got from it was a basic explanation that ORP roughly measures the level of oxidsers and reducers in the system. Great! but what effect does it have on the system and is it worth using. The next question is. If there is a huge imbalance, what do I do to correct the imbalance???

I also know that the explanation is quite complicated, I'm just looking for an answer of...
High ORp will do this to your tank...
Low ORP will do this to your tank....
If you have high ORP do this...
If you have low ORP do this...

Or It doesn't matter so don't bother.

Thanks guys for the help. This is really making me :frustrat:

You only need to worry about ORP if your running ozone. The ORP controller will shut the ozone down or turn it on when it reaches the set levels.

High ORp will do this to your tank...
bleach and kill all your corals
Low ORP will do this to your tank....
probably nothing, since the majority of ppl don't know their ORP anyway
If you have high ORP do this...
Shut down your o3 generator
If you have low ORP do this...
If your running an o3 generator, adjust the low side value, if not....nothing ;)

Or It doesn't matter so don't bother.
:D

Yeah I read that article and understood some of it but I'd rather ask out here just in case. But now that brings up another question.

What does running an ozone generator do for your tank???

Ozone basically adds another oxygen molecule to O2 turning it into O3 ie. the super oxidizer. If injected into your skimmer it will basically super charge it, by oxidizing everything that enters the skimmer chamber you can tell if it it working because your skimmer will smell worse then ever (If thats possible) :)

Back