What is this little critter?

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I am a week into my tank cycle. I have 50 pounds of dry rock, 3.5 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of dry sand in my 55. I saw this little thing against the glass earlier today and he went under the live rock but later came back out and I got some pics of him. Can someone please identify? Thanks

aquariumcritter004.jpg

aquariumcritter006.jpg

aquariumcritter007.jpg

Means it most likely came in with friends on your live rock. Leave em alone, they'll breed and become a welcome member of your tank.

On a side note, 3 and a half pounds of rock in not near enough for a 55 gallon tank though. Start looking to add more.

+1 on the amphipod
+2 on the rock....1-2 pounds per gallon is the recommended amount.
Your pics are really yellow. What kind of lights are you running?

+1 on the amphipod
+2 on the rock....1-2 pounds per gallon is the recommended amount.
Your pics are really yellow. What kind of lights are you running?
Well, I have 50 lbs. of dry rock in there but I am going to add some more live rock shortly. The stuff is $6.99/lb here. I didnt have my lights on when the pic was taken. I had one of my algae scrubber lights up on top because I was sealing a leak on the overflow and the room lights were on so that dingy yellow was what I got. It is kinda ugly isnt it?

he has 53 pounds of rock... but i would still add like 20 more pounds of dry rock. 3 pounds is plenty to seed it i seeded my 37 gallon with 4 half dollar pieces of rubble

On a side note, 3 and a half pounds of rock in not near enough for a 55 gallon tank though. Start looking to add more.

Well, he said that he has 50 of dry rock as well, so it sounds like he's trying to seed the dry with the live, which will give him just about the right amount of LR in the end. Sounds like he's on the right track to me....

Well, he said that he has 50 of dry rock as well, so it sounds like he's trying to seed the dry with the live, which will give him just about the right amount of LR in the end. Sounds like he's on the right track to me....

Yeah, I read the post entirely too quickly and didn't see that part.

But who is peeing in your tank? :mrgreen:

Well, I have 50 lbs. of dry rock in there but I am going to add some more live rock shortly. The stuff is $6.99/lb here. I didnt have my lights on when the pic was taken. I had one of my algae scrubber lights up on top because I was sealing a leak on the overflow and the room lights were on so that dingy yellow was what I got. It is kinda ugly isnt it?

Try live rock here @ $9.98/pound here.......( ouch on the bank account )

Try live rock here @ $9.98/pound here.......( ouch on the bank account )
I am adding 20 more pounds of dry rock which will bring me up to 73, counting my 3.5 lbs of live rock. I am thinking about a few more pounds of live rock and I cringe at the thought of buying it because its so high. I couldnt imagine buying all live rock.

Back