what kind of anemone?

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
The gal at the LFS told us these were some zoos so i bought the thing (i loved their color) and the next morning 2 of them were on the glass. my first reaction was "NO NOT ANEMONESSSSSSSS!!" I have finally gotten rid of the jellies....

so does anyone know what kind these are, should i take them back, and if not how hardy are they?

Picture11.png

Picture7.png

and the green bubbles, it looks different that bubble algae and feels different too, is it a form of it still?

Sharkie,

What did you buy there? Immediately return for full refund and find a new LFS.
How much did they charge you for a Majano & Caluerpa rock?

LFS employees like that give shops a bad rep....

Wait. You bought that? That's really awful. The rock will spread the algae to the rest of your tank, and it will kill your corals. The majano will spread to the rest of your tank, and kill your corals.

There is no way that rock should have been sold to anyone. It has two pests on it, right front and center, in plain view. And anyone that sold you that rock by telling you the pests were "corals" is a big fat liar and should lose his job.

majano.thumb.jpg

I thought majanos had little "Bubble tips" on their ends like in the photo above? mine doesnt have the little bubbles? the lady at the LFS who sold this to me assures its not majanos and she is usually pretty knowledgable :/ hmm

Sharkie,Take that whole rock back.Raise hell untill they give you ALL your money back.If they want to argue,call the BB and report them for selling pest.Besides that,If I'm not mistaken,its illegal to sale Calurpa in the state of California.

I thought majanos had little "Bubble tips" on their ends like in the photo above? mine doesnt have the little bubbles? the lady at the LFS who sold this to me assures its not majanos and she is usually pretty knowledgable :/ hmm

Majanos come in lots of different varieties. There are actually a lot of very beautiful types of majanos. They are still a pest that will take over your tank, kill other animals and are damn near impossible to get rid of. The bubble tipped majanos by far seem to be the most common variety. But the pic you posted is definitely a majano.

Besides that,If I'm not mistaken,its illegal to sale Calurpa in the state of California.

Yote, you are right on. It is illegal to sell caulerpa in California, and it's illegal to bring it into the state.

Caulerpa Laws Difficult to Enforce Illegal Sales Continue

Majanos come in lots of different varieties. There are actually a lot of very beautiful types of majanos. They are still a pest that will take over your tank, kill other animals and are damn near impossible to get rid of. The bubble tipped majanos by far seem to be the most common variety. But the pic you posted is definitely a majano.

Yote, you are right on. It is illegal to sell caulerpa in California, and it's illegal to bring it into the state.

Caulerpa Laws Difficult to Enforce Illegal Sales Continue

wow, i had no clue that it was illegal to have caluerpa in cali, there are quite a few LFS around here that sell it!

arg, i don't want to raise too much of a stink but i will def be taking the rock back ASAP!

:(

wow, i had no clue that it was illegal to have caluerpa in cali, there are quite a few LFS around here that sell it!

arg, i don't want to raise too much of a stink but i will def be taking the rock back ASAP!

:(
There are 100's of species of caulerpa. The illegal/invasive species is caulerpa taxifolia. What you have there is caulerpa racemosa and that's on the CA illegal list too unless your a researcher.

From the link Biff posted....
"CALIFORNIA FISH AND GAME CODE 2300. (a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport, transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis. (b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a person may possess, for bona fide scientific research, as determined by the department, upon authorization by the department, the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis. (c) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each violation."

And your anemone might be a mini carpet anemone, stichodactyla tapetum.

Last edited:
There are 100's of species of caulerpa. The illegal/invasive species is caulerpa taxifolia. What you have there is caulerpa racemosa and that's on the CA illegal list too unless your a researcher.

From the link Biff posted....
"CALIFORNIA FISH AND GAME CODE 2300. (a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport, transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis. (b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a person may possess, for bona fide scientific research, as determined by the department, upon authorization by the department, the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis. (c) In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each violation."

And your anemone might be a mini carpet anemone, stichodactyla tapetum.

yea i read over that and saw what it said... :( guess i wont be shopping there anymore... dangit!! we have nothing but crap stores around here apparently :(

the nems dont look like those at all :(

Sharkie, On a positive note your photos are very nice; well done!
And, if it is any consolation, I feel our LFSs are crap around here too!

I don't think it's a mini carpet anemone if you bought the rock, and the next day found two new ones on the glass. Anemones that spread that prolifically can only be pests.

Sharkie, On a positive note your photos are very nice; well done!
And, if it is any consolation, I feel our LFSs are crap around here too!

lol thanks, they are just with my point and shoot :) photogs one of my hobbies but i don't have a nice digital 35mm anymore :p

and as far as LFS we only have 3 that are close, one is the one i bought this from and typically they are very knowledgable and have helped me with a lot of problems and the manager is really great about working with you, the second on is in the next town over and they are nice, but have a small selection and i can't have most of the ones they have there.... and the 3rd... is petco. i refuse to shop from there. they treat all their fish horribly and their systems are always broken and they always have tons of dead fish on display

You should try to find some local reefers. You can trade with them and together you can do group buys from reputable places like liveaquaria.com I think it's your best bet consider your luck with the LFS. Good luck sharkie. hang in there!

You should try to find some local reefers. You can trade with them and together you can do group buys from reputable places like liveaquaria.com I think it's your best bet consider your luck with the LFS. Good luck sharkie. hang in there!

+1.

Key to reefing IMO.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Cali has a great reef club. Find your states reef forum and put your foot in. Honestly, all the information you need will be found at your states reef-forum and here at livingreefs, collectively. Truly great places.

Last edited:
Back