What Kind of Pump for water changes?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I was wondering what you guys use to pump the water out of the container when doing a water change. I have a really slow little pump and I also have a big one but the part for attaching it to a hose got broken and they don't make them anymore.

3/4 inch is way to small and 1 inch is just a tiny (really tiny) but too small. It's metric (25mm). They don't even make the pumps any more. They're all 3/4" now. I found I can use the return pump that came with my 75 gallon tank but I'm going to need to use that soon.

You can get a MaxiJet 1200. And just use vinyl tubing . That's like $20.

That's onyl 295 GPH. The little one I have is 290 GPH and it has a really hard time pushing the water up the hose and then when it does it takes like nearly an hour to empty the container.

How far are you pumping the water? I use a maxijet 1200 with about 6ft of tubing to do my water changes and it only takes about 5 mins on my 75

Oh lol, I looked at the pump it's a 291 GPH maxijet. The hose is probably like 6 to 7 feet long. It takes a bit more than half an hour to empty a 30 gallon (or so) container.

I think your pump is busted!

Hmmm, that's weird. It feels 100 times more powerful than my 250 GPH koralia powerhead. I don't see any reason why it would have gotten messed up.

Wait a second, I was thinking about a different hose. It's actually quite long and all bent.

I just tested the hose at certain height and then cut it in half and now at the same height it comes out quite a bit faster. It took about 5 mins to empty a 1/8 (or less) full bathtub.

OMG nerds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

They weren't very accurate my readings. I need to have a 30 gallon container with each gallon marked on the side. Then I fill it up and take the end of the hose to the same height as the tank. I then run it for 1 minute and see how many gallons it takes out. I multiply that by 60 and then have an accurate measurement of how many GPH the water is coming in to the tank.

You think I'm a nerd now? You should have seen me when I was younger! :mrgreen:

Back