What kind of shrimp are these????

rubyfrogs

Reefing newb
So I was at one of my LFS and spotted these guys, they sold them to me as camel shrimp bc they didnt know what they were. I have camel shrimp but these are different, they have spots! Anyone have any guesses? I googled but couldnt find any that looked like them. They have HUGE eyes ans are really neat looking, I just don't know what they are! They are still acclimating so they are in the bag still but these pics should give you an idea of their markings. Im wondering what the heck I paid 8.99 for, if they are some super cool cleaner shrimp or something that would be sweet if I got them for 8.99 lol. Maybe they are just baby camel shrimp or something?

Attachments

• SAM_0412.jpg
    SAM_0412.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 523
  • SAM_0414.JPG
    SAM_0414.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 498
If their coloring were reversed they would almost look like peppermint shrimp. Well I take that back I looked up a pic of peppermint shrimp and they do look kinda similar.

ok Ill check out some peppermint shrimp variations maybe? I'll google and see what pops up! ill let you know if I get a definitive ID.

Although I don't know what they are, I don't think they are the common type of Camel Shrimp. Maybe they are some variation of them but they are diffidently different. Very cool looking find rubyfrogs.

Ok another question.... If these are in fact camel back shrimp (which of course are known to bother corals) if there is ample food for them do you guys think they will still bother the corals or is kind of a dont know until you try kinda thing? I have some zoas and mushroom and 2 purple death polyps... I dont want to risk them messing up the coral but at the same time these are unlike any camel shrimp I've seen online, so maybe I will get lucky??? lol

Why do you want camel shrimp?!?! They are seriously not reef safe! They are usually considered pests in reef tanks, as they are commonly mis-sold as peppermints.

Well when I bought them they didn't know what they were they just sold them to me for the price of camel shrimp, so that's why I was wondering about them maybe being different, i originally thought they were some type of cleaner or peppermint, but with that hump I'm thinking they are in fact camel shrimp. hmmmm know I dont know what to do with them :dunno:

Back