what light cannot be seen by fish

mcmusashi5

Octopus Wizard
i was thinking that fish just ignore actinics because they are supposed to be moon color. is that true? and what other lights can fish not see

Not to argue, but the studies I've read (and can't find right now.... mixed all up with my chemistry articles...) :frustrat: argue that fish actually most likely see a wider spectrum of colors than we do. They have more cones (the color-sensing part of your eyeball) than humans do, especially more agressive species. Here's some interesting readin that I found with a quick internet search:

Can fish see color and more

Do fish see color, are fish color blind

So, basically, the take home message is that fish likely see every color of light that you can see, and then some. And, from the first link, their eyes are slower to dialate when exposed to changing light levels-- meaning that if you turn on your MH in a dark room and they're suddenly at full brightness, your fish will be hiding and stressed out because their eyes hurt. So gradual brightening is apparently not onyl astethically pleasing for us peoples, but also better for the fish. Neat. :) thanks for the question-- I learned something new :^:

no argumnt here it is always to get new info. i know that if i look into the tank at night with a red light it does bother the fish a bit but not any of the inverts so i wonder if it is only fish that can see it or if even inverts to but just as bad with the inverts

I have read that actinics are just as bright to fish as regular daylight bulbs. So a fish would see a 24watt actinic at the same brightness as a 24 watt 10,000 K bulb. Where we cant because the wavelength of the actinic is close the the end of our viewing spectrum. So that would go along with what tanked just said

Depends on the creature. For example, I'm pretty sure most pistol shrimp are basically blind, and snails (I believe... that info is from biology 101 1,000 years ago...) can only see in two colors-- light and dark, basically. However, this awesome article says that mantis shrimp have some of the most developed eyes in the animal kingdom, and see all the way from UV light to IR (infrared) light. Sweet! Maybe that's why they're so good at hunting at night... they see the body heat of our fishies... :shock:

Cool thread! I def. learned something from it.

Ditto Daugherty, when I look at my tank with a red LED my fish react. However, when I switch it over to the blue LED they don't seem phased by it. All my fish seem to continue to "sleep." I love looking at my tank at night, it's ALMOST as fun as daytime viewing.

That explains a lot about why mantis are such effective hunters.They can basically hunt in total darkness.
Think I'm gonna move this to the fish forum to.To much info to let get burried in the off topic.

the reason im posting this is because i wanna see my snowflake eel at night without him being able to tell. because when the light is on he stays in the rock. anybody have ideas

Get a flashlight with either a blue or red filter. The brightness will be enough for you to see them but not so much that they freak out. It would be like a beam of moon light breaking thorugh the clouds. Also, look into some LED moon lights and put them either on all the time or on an opposite light cycle from your main lights.

Brian

Back