What program to edit RAW files?

BL1

Since I started shooting with my DSLR, I've been shooting in the RAW format and I love it! I was using Adobe Elements 8.0 to edit my photos but, as of last week my license for it expired. So, now I'm looking either to buy a new license for it or, move to another program. I was wondering what everyone else that shoots in RAW edits their pics with, and what you guys could recommend for me.
Thanks!

I haven't looked at elements 9 yet only because it's a cut down version of photoshop. Before switching to Elements 8 I was using photoshop CS4 and granted I didn't know how to use 90% of the features, I did feel like there was so much more latitude in the editing.

Lightroom.

Not only for the advanced raw editing features, but also for the file organization features.

I highly recommend you go to the adobe website and watch some of the videos.
Then you can download the free trial.

Lightroom.

Not only for the advanced raw editing features, but also for the file organization features.

I highly recommend you go to the adobe website and watch some of the videos.
Then you can download the free trial.

I didn't realize you could edit raw files with that. I've had the full version of lightroom 2 on my computer for 4 or 5 months but, I thought it was only to organize my pics.

OMG.

It's what the professionals use to download, organize, edit, proof, print, and publish to web or printed albums. Everything from start to finish. All kinds of plugins are available for it, and if it's editing features aren't enough it can export to photoshop or whatever other software you want to use. And the original raw file are never touched! You can make as many adjustments as you want but nothing is applied until you export. And you can make as many versions as you want. Definitely go watch the videos.

Thanks Dennis! What's even better is I got it for free! I know what will occupy my whole Sunday now.

Im with Dennis. lightroom is my primary editing program now. I rarely use anything else. Just Gimp for silly stuff like creating sequence shots.

I agree 100% with Dennis here, Lightroom rocks! I also avoided the photoshop elements program but once I sat down and looked at it, I realized that it has the 10% of stuff I use all the time. If you want to do work that will be professionally printed or animation go with the real photoshop, if not, Elements will probably do what you need. Lightroom is awesome and Lightroom 3 is absolutely worth the extra cash. LOVE IT!

C

I agree 100% with Dennis here, Lightroom rocks! I also avoided the photoshop elements program but once I sat down and looked at it, I realized that it has the 10% of stuff I use all the time. If you want to do work that will be professionally printed or animation go with the real photoshop, if not, Elements will probably do what you need. Lightroom is awesome and Lightroom 3 is absolutely worth the extra cash. LOVE IT!

C
I've got Lightroom 2 now, I got my copy for free so I definitely can't complain. I I'll stick with this, I don't ever plan on doing professional type work so I won't need to shell out the $$$ for photoshop.

BL1, I really love this video tutorial series. Very helpful and FREE!

AdobeTV | The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost

If I can help you get started with Lightroom, let me know and I'll meet you in my online classroom.

Catherine
Thanks Catherine, I've actually been making my way through all the Adobe TV vids, I haven't made it to Julieanne Kost's vids yet. Are you still doing your classes, I haven't seen any updates on the forums for quite a while.

This is me on hubby's computer.

We've taken a break but I've got time in my schedule if people want to do another one. We use Photoshop Elements in the class. We can do a few classes just on Lightroom if there is interest.

C

Back