What silicone sealant to use?

Garrett41

Reefing newb
Hi, I was planning on constructing a 200-300 gallon tank. I'm new to the whole DIY tank building process, but I have always wanted to construct my own. The only thing I really want to know is what specific type of silicone glue to get. Would any 100% silicone aquarium sealant work? Or is there a specific silicone glue used specifically for bigger tanks? Can you perhaps suggest a specific glue to use? Thank you.

I am not an expert in building tanks, but I do know that you can save some money and get the 100% silicon from the hardware store. Just make sure that it isn't the stuff for use in bathrooms or kitchens that have anti microbials added in. Its like 2 or 3 bucks a tube versus 8-10 for the aquarium stuff.

As far as the actual adhesive, anything that is 100% silicone sealant is ok. Do not get anything with any form of additives such as anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, etc.
To be absolutely safe, use the ones from popular aquarium brands. They cost about 2x-3x as much as generic 100% silicone but you get the peace of mind that you are using the right product.

As far as constructing the tank, building the actual tank is a different process than gluing additional panels to an already existing tank.

Most of the aquarium building companies keep their manufacturing process a secret, but they usually involve jigs that press all 5 glass panels together at the same time so that the adhesive is one continuous piece spread out on all junctions. The gap between the glass panels are also kept to within strict measurements to ensure optimal adhesion.

Since most of us are not allowed to see such a process, it would be difficult to try and recreate it.

I believe that GE-1 is the silicone that most people work with, I cant remember the prefix but the number is 1.

is this the one. asked the same question on local forum got it at wal mart for $4.28 a can
8ADAF6AB-D4F6-4C0F-B7DC-3ECC70DDB69B-3223-0000033B02A79E3F.jpg

187F4932-4CFE-4EA5-B99E-44F50D8CF748-2666-00000305F330A990.jpg

Pretty sure thats the stuff, look on the bottle and see what it has going in terms of additives. (anything anti- microbial, or fungal or bacterial or whatever it is) is what you want to avoid. But I'm more than positive GE 1 is the stuff you want.

if you want to be sure this is the stuff i bought and am going to use to be 100% safe. it costed about the same things just way less silicone.
4CEC1CBE-C6A6-46AB-84D6-668172ECD07A-3260-0000033E995CF659.jpg

100% silicone is 100% silicone -- doesn't matter the brand. As others have said, as long as it doesn't have antimicrobial additives, you are good to go. It doesn't have to say "aquarium safe" or "aquarium silicone" to work. :)

Back