Votes: 3 13.0%

Votes: 10 43.5%

Votes: 5 21.7%

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am usually around 81, but I have had a number of snail and hermit deaths that I think are caused by my temp being too high for them. Wanted to see if you guys keep yours the same or lower?

I have two tanks, both with different temps. I keep my reef at a comfy 80 but my shark likes it a bit cooler and that tank hangs out at about 76.

-Doc

i had a really wierd experience with my turbos where i lost 5 really large turbos in the matter of a couple weeks and nothing happened. margarita snails are the only commonly kept snails that die really fast in temps like that. and that is because they do not live in those temps but are commonly traded in the marine hobby. I have humdreds of snails. cerith astrea turbos nassarius all seem to be doing just fine.

I lose snails over a period of a couple months.I lose a few to the hermits but almost all the algae grazers(mainly astreas) die on me within months except for the trochus snails.It's not copper nor lack of algae....I just don't know why.

I have a refractometer and my salt reading is usually 35 ppm which is supposedly ocean salt levels.

different parts of the ocean all have different salinitys just depends were you are at i think that is why they give you a range insted of just one set number.

Mine might drop off to 78 on a cold night,but its usually 79 during the day.
I've got a few snails from when I first got into the hobby,but I've also bought more just have them die within a week.
I think a lot of has to do with the snail itsself.Maybe there just old,maybe their sick.There not exactly like fish,Hard to tell when somethings wrong with a snail untill we pull the stinking corpse out of the tank.

slight thread jack... im guessing about 79 is where temp should be at... my heater really sucks so im looking for a new one, any suggestions? i want a 200w one, can you have too big of a heater for a tank? any good brands?

YES,You can have too big a heater.Its safer fro the animals you keep to use 2 smaller heaters than one big heater.
Reason being.Heaters are know for the stat sticking on.When that happens and you've got one big heater,you've just boiled the tank.With 2 smaller heaters,if one sticks on,you'll usually notice it before any damage is done.

Back