what the heck is this?!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
okay so my talking in the video basically explains it (i was on the phone with my man lol) I have NO clue what the heck this thing is...

first i thought it was a majano, put some remover on it and the thing moved ASAP!! so i got the turkey baster and sucked it out and put it in a cup and now its jamming around like a crazy thing!

the picture is what it looked like before i took it out, and the video is what its doing now... all the pieces are moving by themselves...:shock: EW!! lol

is this a type of nudibranch or sea worm? or was my anemone type thing more on the money? or... is this yet ANOTHER one of my random sea creature findings?:grumble:

Picture2-2.png

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhmsVQYPKv8[/ame]

uhhhh YEAAAHHHHH!!! i have no clue what it is... i was thinking maybe a carpet anem? i just dont know much about nems

Sharkie how do you end up with these things? WTF!
It's not a anemone. And it doesn't look like a nudibranch.
What is it? It a creepy something that shouldn't be in your tank.
I think your tank is being controlled by aliens!

Sharkie how do you end up with these things? WTF!
It's not a anemone. And it doesn't look like a nudibranch.
What is it? It a creepy something that shouldn't be in your tank.
I think your tank is being controlled by aliens!
Hmm attack of the pod people huh. Next thing you know we will all have these things and then start wanting damsels in our tanks. Wait a minute I think I hear the twilight zone theme song........

wooo i was righttt!!

now the question is, should i keep him or get rid of him? my sister has a small tank with no corals in it... would it survive? its still alive this morning (in the cup still) or is it just a nasty i should get rid of?

Hmm attack of the pod people huh. Next thing you know we will all have these things and then start wanting damsels in our tanks. Wait a minute I think I hear the twilight zone theme song........

hey now... i already want damsels in my tank ;D ;D

I think ccapt was implying that it ate star polyps in his post. I think most nudis have a very specialized diet and cant be easily kept in tanks

Brian

ya that post cc put said its a soft coral eater so its a nasty. Im sorry sharkie was just to easy to make the joke about the damsels. If they werent so aggressive i would have a few in my tank.

I read up on them, they do eat corals. So if you want to keep it, you could try keeping a stock of cheap softies for it to munch on, like kenya trees or xenias. It's worth a shot.

:) I knew it was a nudibranch right off the bat with it sitting in the star polyps. I then Googled star polyp eating nudibranch to get the scientific name.

cool cool :) i've worked with some of the more vibrant variants of nudis up at the aquarium and thats what it reminded me of when it started moving around so much in the cup...

sadly he didn't make it in my sisters tank with nada to eat... i put him in there bc its small and he is too but i guess he doesnt like the xneias... oh well... thanks for all the help!

Back