What to avoid so you don't have to dose

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I never want to get into a situation where I have to dose daily. I really want to stay with just once-twice 10% water changes weekly if that's at all possible.

Right now, with the corals I have, I have always had results in normal limits. I'm thinking about changing to a different salt, maybe reef crystals, so I will have to worry even less about it. (Currently using normal instant ocean).

I'm assuming if I have little to no sps in my tank I can accomplish this. But I'm not really sure. So far I really want to stay with LPS and softies.

Good luck. My tank was perfect for 6 months, then the pH started falling and it's been low every since. Even my new frag tank has low pH. It's the bain of most reefers.

If you figure out how to keep a reef tank within normal water parameters without dosing - patent it. You'll be a zillionaire very soon!!

i had that problem untill i added a large air pump and air stone to my sump and my ph went up. it is most likley from a high co2 in the tank not low o2 but high co2

I tried it. No change. Bought a dissolved oxygen kit. My tanks are between 6.5ppm - 7ppm. That's considered normal.

I think it's funny that everybody reaches for the old - "it's your co2" - explanation anytime a reefer reports low pH. Thats the easiest straw to grab and you will see the fastest results IF you do in fact have low o2 levels and high co2 levels.

But in my case, I've proven my low pH is NOT due to high levels of co2 in the water.

Like I said, you come up with a salt mix that has enough buffers and trace minerals in it - so I never have to dose again and simply do weekly water changes -- you'll be STUPID RICH in a very short time.

Back