What to do next? I think my tank is cycled...

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
I got my new good test kit today (the mad scientist kind) and its reading my ammonia is ZERO and my nitrites are ZERO, my nitrate was between 10 and 20 ppm, probably closer to 20, so I did my first water change, whats next in my saltwater aquarium journey? Other than work on the sump in the other thread... Should I look into a cleaning crew? or give it more time yet?

Ah, makes sense. I forgot to buy a fish trap today while I was at foster and smith... dang it. I wonder if the LFS will even take back the damsels or not? I could handle that, but I couldnt flat out kill them, thats too mean. Nothing has happened to the velvet one since that little tail chunk went missing the other day...

Also, what percent do you recommend for doing water changes? I did about 10% of my tank, and I retested and nitrate is still a little orangish... Is that normal or should I mix up more water and do another 10% or so change tomorrow?

Ah, alright. This reefmaster test kid I got doesnt really say whats ideal, just the lower the better for nitrates... I think im at about a 5, maybe 10? I dunno the colors look almost the same to me

I am happy with a 20 or sp reading since I dont even have a skimmer on my 12gallon, with my new one I am hoping to have a bit lower reading... :)

water changes freshen up the tank. The more fish you have, the more waste is produced, the more you need to change you water. Once is a week is perfect, IMHO. I do between 10-15% a week. I have heard to target changing 50% of your water each month. It will all depend on your bio-load. Since your tank is new, it will take some time for the levels to even out. Don't add more than one fish this first time and then, don't add another one for two weeks. During the two weeks, add a small cleaning crew. After two weeks, get another fish (plan your tank so you are not subject to the impulse buying that we have all done for years), then add to your cleaning crew. Taking it slow is the best way to go. Going to fast will cause your tank to crash and that is SOOOO sad.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Alright, I didnt want to get a new fish quite yet, I wanna catch the damsels and get them in my fuge for a while to let the other fish get used to the tank, then try and see if they can get along or not. At the LFS he has the damsels living in the tanks with the clowns and some other smaller fish and they dont seem to have any problems... I stopped in today and found a cool shrimp, do you guys think my fish will have a problem with him? Its a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, he said that they shouldnt have any problems with it, because they like to be cleaned by these guys, I wanna double check on here to make sure he will be safe before letting him go in the tank, Id hand lower him down to some rocks to hide in right away, hes about 2 inches long, so about the size of the fish... I dont think they should be agressive towards a shrimp should they? Otherwise ill run his ass back to the store till I get my sump set up tonight or tomorrow... Or just make a little QT tank for him to chill in for a while. Could someone let me know quick? I gotta work at 4 and dont wanna leave him in the bag while im at work...

he will be fine. I doubt the damsels will let the shrimp clean him. They will ignore it and he will ignore them. Go ahead and drop him in the tank. Don't hand place him in the tank. Just drop him in the tank from your net.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yeah so far they are pretty much ignoring each other, he scared the crap out of the black and white damsel and the damsel took off, no conflicts yet..

Haha, this guy is awesome! He snatched a piece of flake food and I could actually watch him eat it, and see it go into his stomach... lol!

If I was you I would switch over to frozen food. Flakes contain lots of ash which leads to red algea which is not good. post pic of shimp when you find time. We all love pics.

I think the bigger damsel wanted to be cleaned by the shrimp? he went to the rock the shrimp was chilling under and just sat there broadside right in front of the shrimp, the shrimp didnt do anything... then he started nudging at the shrimp and I freaked out and stuck my hand in with in a second and shooed him away, the shrimp was RIGHT in the spot the black and white damsel always hides... I dunno if he was nudging to tell him to do his damn job or if he was nudging in attack.. either way scared me and i shooed the shrimp to a new spot. Now im afraid to go to work...

He just did it again! he isnt nipping at all or anything, he just like fakes a head butt at him and gets the shrimp out of there... think he will be ok?

About the flakes, I put them in the flow of the one filter and it pushes them down in the water, the fish eat every spec with in 5 seconds, is it still a bad idea even if there arent any left-overs?

Aquarium078.jpg

Aquarium079.jpg

Back