What to do with fish during mini cycle?

super600

Reefing newb
My brother has a friend that just moved and could not take his 90gal so they set it up in my brothers living room. Obviously the tank was completely emptied including the LR and sand, then put back together and filled back up with original water. I have had a 14g biocube for 7 years now and I'm not an expert on reef aquariums but from what I understand anytime a tank is completely emptied and stirred up like this they go through a mini cycle and sometimes a full cycle correct? This wouldn't be a problem however the tank has 16 fish in it right now... Foxface, Eel, 2 clowns and the rest assorted damsels. This kid has about 40lbs of rock and his tank has been running on a single skimmer that looks like its made for a 20g. No heater, NO powerheads!!! absolutely no water movement except through the tiny skimmer. The kid said he has owned the tank for a year and has never done a single water change, just top offs. I can't wrap my mind around how these fish are still alive and look in good condition. I checked the water and I was shocked to see the pH 8.3 and salinity right on the mark... Nitrates were at 15 but I expected it to be over being the water has NEVER been changed!

Anyway, he wants to turn this into a nice reef tank and add a refugium, more rock and completely upgrade the filtration since it basically has none right now. What can he do with these fish until the tank is complete and running steady? He wants to keep them in there and just water change more often but I don't think that's the best idea.

I have no idea how he never had a heater or powerheads and especially with 16 fish in a 90G...that's a miracle

he might have to get another tank or maybe find a local fish store to keep them for him

Some LFS will 'fish sit' for a fee. Other than that, he can ask around local reef clubs to see if someone can help him out.

Doing water changes more often will help, but it will also prolong the cycle.

Back