What would you do with this sump?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I have a CPR CY192. It has the build in protein skimmer in one section and the other section has the bio-bale filter media. I know not to use the bio-bale in reef tanks so i'll remove it. But I'm wondering if I should throw some live rock in that section? Or use it for something else? Or just leave it empty?

p_21298_27693V.jpg

Also, what pump would you use to get the water back up to the 46g tank with internal drilled overflow? I have a Rio 2100 but figured that wouldn't be strong enough?

Thanks!

Rock wont do you any good unless its completely submerged.And when you take the bale out,the water fall is going to be fairly loud.You could use bio-balls,but you'd have to be anal about keeping them rinsed out.But they would quieten the water down.
I'd probably go with something like a mag 5 on the return.

I'll still have the piece of white filter padding in there at the top so that keeps the noise down. I've had this same setup in the past and it worked great, but that chamber was left empty. I didn't think about there not being enough water though. I can't remember how much ends up being in that chamber. Guess I'll have to wait till this weekend when i set it up.

Back