What's Better Calurpa or Cheatomorpha?

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Any drawbacks to either... Does it really matter? Also I don't have my baffles set up except for one, I have LR as the bubble traps, could I place the micro algae in lets say a plastic container with holes drilled into it so as to prevent the algae from going into the display tank, or is this even neccesary? Thanks

Calurpa will kill your tank if the little grape things all break open. It will not be beneficial for your tank. Cheato is the way to go if you are setting up a sump.

-Doc

Chaeto is better, hands down. Most people actually try to avoid caulerpa. It will turn your water yellow. Yuck. It also can accidentally get into the main tank easier than chaeto. Well, I should say that IF they get into the main tank, chaeto is much easier to get rid of since it doesn't attach. Once you get caulerpa attaching to your rocks, it's a pain the butt to get rid off. Go with chaeto.

You need to make sure that the macroalgae is kept away from the return pump. If you don't have a baffle separating the return pump from the rest of the area, then a clear container with holes drilled for flow works fine.

I know some places on the web and even the LFS sell caulerpa.Avoid it and use chaeto,its super easy,not evasive and flow rate isn't an issue with them.Caulerpa can go ''asexual'' and spew its inside into the water and turn it cloudy,yellowish.(don't ask me what ''asexual'' means,people use it to describe it)

I only have one glass baffle in my fuge. I used egg create for everything else. I made a nice little bentic zone with it too. It works great and no bubbles in the display.

post some pics of your sump and tank, if you would. I am interested to see how you did that

-Doc

Back