Whats better to use.......?

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Whats better to use? Is it the "CHAETOMORPHA ALGAE" or "GRACILARIA ALGAE" better used to get rid of nitrates. I have a tang so I was wondering if the gracilaria would be better. Any help would be great thanks.:mrgreen:

Do you have a fuge? Or just going to put it in the tank? The Chaeto, if in the main tank, might have pieces break loose and just go floating around the tank (even if you put a net around it).

CHEATO ! Other types such as caulerpa may shoot out a mass of spores that will then cause a die-off and ammonia spike. I've had tons of cheato get into the main display and it has never taken hold and grown in there.

Do you have a fuge? Or just going to put it in the tank? The Chaeto, if in the main tank, might have pieces break loose and just go floating around the tank (even if you put a net around it).

I dont have a fuge at the moment but i have a sump and i was thinking about growing the chaeto in the INLET section. Do you think maybe thats too much flow in that section or would i be ok?

Whats better to use? Is it the "CHAETOMORPHA ALGAE" or "GRACILARIA ALGAE" better used to get rid of nitrates. I have a tang so I was wondering if the gracilaria would be better. Any help would be great thanks.:mrgreen:

cheto works better i tried to grow the garacilaria and all the pods ate it.

Ok thanks on all the replys but just one question im still not sure about. Would it be ok to put the chaeto in the section of my sump that the water comes from the DT? Is that too much flow? Thanks again.

Yeah, I use chaeto (even some of Biff's superior chaeto ;) ) They're in my sump and fuge, surrounded by netting so I don't get pieces floating around. But +1 biff -- as long as they're not getting tossed around to the point of breaking apart, and that you have a light in there, you should be fine.

ok thanks alot guys/girls. Hey Wonton, what kind of netting would be good or ok to use? Also wouldnt the netting be kind of restrictive to the chaeto?

I'm guessing netting like citrus net bag (The kind of bags that oranges come in at the grocery store). I have also seen this netting be used in other applications like recently reading on how to use it to attach Ricordea to a piece of LR.

Back