Whats this on my live rock

P5030324.jpg

I dont know what this is on my liverock. I tried to zoom in as closely as I could without it getting to blurry. It is right in the middle of the picture, it looks like a clear sack.
P5030323.jpg

Looks like an old bubble algae. But i would start getting on top of that red algae you having growing, looks like it could be the dreaded red turf algae.

What are your water parameters? How many fish do you have? How often to do you feed, how much and what? How often do you do your water changes and how much? How old are you lights?

The live rock came like that. I do water changes every two/three weeks and 8 gals at a time. I use RO water. 1.024 Salinity, pH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrites 0, phosphates .25, I feed one time a day frozen mysis shrimp. I have one spotted goby, one fire shrimp, 4 dwarf hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail.

The phosphates could be causing your algae. I use a small sack of phosguard in my filter and just change it out when I do water changes, works great.

+1 Amber.

Also, are you feeding a whole cube of mysid shrimp once a day? I would say you only need like an 1/8th of a cube for two fish

Ok good, you would be surprised at how often people do that :)

But i would try putting a little phosphogaurd (?) in there and see if it slows down. I would also try to remove as much by hand as you can when you do water changes.

NO WAY! I am not feeding the tank a WHOLE cube. I only feed a little a cube lasts me 3 to 4 days.

Sounds like you are feeding ok then one cube last me 4 days! We have similar size tanks and same water params! We are twins. LOL

I say try the phosguard for a few weeks see if that helps. The bottle I got for like $7 and its lasted me a long time. I just put about 1/4th cup and stick the little bag in my filter box.

I just got back from my LFS and got Seachem PhosGuard it is like a filtering media. What brand do you have? I just want to be clear, the red algae I am trying to get rid of.... is it the plant like stuff growing? I thought the dark purple stuff on the rock was coralline Algae. Im glad someone is in a similar boat as me :)

Thanks.... ya know now that you guys brought it to my attention when I got those two pieces of live rock with all the bad algae on it... there was a lot more....and with my water changes and adding the clean up crew... it is getting less and less.... so hopfully with this phoguard it will be gone soon. Do you know of any snails or crabs that eat it too?

I just got back from my LFS and got Seachem PhosGuard it is like a filtering media. What brand do you have? I just want to be clear, the red algae I am trying to get rid of.... is it the plant like stuff growing? I thought the dark purple stuff on the rock was coralline Algae. Im glad someone is in a similar boat as me :)

Yes thats the one I use its little white balls did you get a filter sack to put them in also? When you rinse them out they get hot its kinda cool, I am a chemistry nerd LOL

Anyway yes like LF said its the stringy red stuff not the flat purple stuff stuck to the rock. I dont know if any critters eat that someone else might know though.

Keep up with the water changes and make sure you freshen up the phosguard every week or two. Maybe try scraping it off the rock too so it can get sucked up in your filter or scoop it out with a net

Good luck!

So i got bored and started scanning my live rock with a magnifying glass and i found two small aiptasia's. Any suggestions on getting rid of them. My tank is still cycling. So no fish and no corals yet. Ive read that peppermint shrimp will eat them so i thought about getting one to eat them before i get any corals ( since they are not reef safe).

Suggestions?

Back