When is it "bad"?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So, over the winter I've stored a bunch of old live sand and a few 10 gallon tanks waiting for spring when I could take them outside and rinse them out. Today is the day. One of the buckets is a huge rubbermaid circular container. It has about 2 inches of sand in the bottom and is about half full of water. Every now and then, I add water sometimes it's RODI and sometimes it's salt. I have no idea what the numbers are for the water in this huge tub of water. It has a little blob of sea lettuce in there that's green. No filtration, no heater, no light, no cover. I looked at it last night expecting the lettuce to be dead and for the water to smell and I was surprised. My lettuce is nice and green, the water has no odor and there is no visible detritus in the bottom. Question: Does that mean my sand is doing it's job? I would like to make this a shrimp 'fuge to grow red volcanic shrimp. Should I dump everything and start over or hook up a light and sponge filter? Maybe I should stir it up to see how much goo is really in my sand?

Thanks for any help,
Catherine

I don't know about the sand, I don't have enough knowledge. Maybe if you just syphon all the water and leave the sand? and once you got 99% of the water out just wipe down the sides of the rubbermaid...I bet that would work.

Test the water.:D If its bad,just use new water.But the sand should be fine.May be a few bristle worms in it though.

I tested the water and the numbers are perfect! I was shocked. I stirred up the sand which mucked up the water so I followed PRC's advice and wiped down the bucket and replaced the water. Now I have to figure out how to set this up for my shrimps.... It's always something :)

Thanks for your advice, I hate to kill all the sand critters if I don't have to!

C

Back