When to add snails and crabs?

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I actually won the battle and got my 65 gallon set up back from my ex. It is set up in my bedroom now (I need to find a way to quiet the return pump down), and looking great.

I used Dr.Tim's One and Only nitrafying bacteria and my current water parameters are:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0-5ppm (The color shade leans closer to 0ppm)
PH - 7.8ppm

I was wondering if it would be ok to add some crabs and snails? I have some food likely going to waste since my two clowns probably arent eating everything (as well as their waste). And yes that is right, The product from Dr.Tim recommends adding fish with it immediately, so there are two very small clowns in there.

Thoughts on adding crabs and snails?

Will add pictures later, I aquascaped over some pipe that I rested at the bottom for my future blue ribbon eel :) I like the way it turned out.

Well I am sure that others will agree, We don't use fish to cycle tanks here. It is in-humane. I know it might have told you to add fish right away, but I don't think that is right. If u are reading that on your chemicals I would wait until your numbers are perfect then wait a week. I am currently cycling a tank too, and I will wait at least two weeks after my numbers are stable before I add anything to it. Cant wait to see pictures.
Hope you didn't take anything too serious and I didn't offend you.

Just the way a lot of people are about hurting or stressing out poor lil fishes that are helpless

I appreciate your input, and I never would have added fish if it wasnt recommended. I have been monitoring levels since I added the "One and only" solution, and have a home for the fish immediately if they are not safe.

This product is basically a cycle in only a few days. I was on the fence with it for a bit, and curiosity made me try this method. I can assure you that all levels have been fine,and both fish are eating and acting very normal.

fastrd400, I dont think you will find it at lfs. I believe it has to be ordered online, as this will give you a newer batch with a longer "shelf life". The bacteria can die if it sits for too long.

Back