Where did his pinchers go?

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
I have an anemone crab that lives in my candy cane coral. He never comes out of the candy cane (he thinks its an anemone) since the day I drooped him in. I have never seen him getting picked on either. About a week after I bought him a pincher mysteriously disappeared. I though maybe I bought him without one and just never noticed it. I could swear he had two when I purchased him. He has started to grow that one back now. Today I was poking around in my tank and came across a pincher. Little guy lost his other pincher this time. I'm not crazy hes loosing these things. Now he has only a little baby pincher. Ive never seen him molt before but hes lost two pincher's. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Last edited:
i have never heard of that unless it is just something they go through? atleast he can hide in the coral so no one picks on him with only a lit pincher.

Someone was probably beating him up (another crab maybe?). They'll grow back in time, but he may starve in the meantime if he's having a hard time foraging without his claws.

Hes a filter feeder, not a scavenger so I'm not to worried about him starving. As a matter of fact hes eating right now. I don't think anybody even knows hes there. Not even that bastard of a shrimp I own.

Last edited:
I finaly got a good look at him this morning. His pincher was removed right at the socket that connects to the body. As was the other one.

Well here is an update....... One morning I woke up and my crab was missing from his coral....... I havent seen him in 4 days..... no body has been found either

we saw him venture out of the coral when i was at your house. i personally put all blame on that bastard shrimp of yours. and those shrimp cost as much as a lot of cool fish would too!

He lost a fight. I've got a mithrax without claws...been that way for months...still going strong. Think he got beat up by one of my monster blue legs or the other mithrax.

Back