Where do I go from here?

madhattertcm

Reefing newb
Hopefully I'll get a good pic today to post, but was curious of your thoughts.

My girlfriend and I inherited a saltwater aquarium. Basically her parents, who had one had one running but hadn't kept up with it in about a year. There was live rock and a serpentine star living in there. The algae was pretty bad and we'd scrape it off the walls once it got bad and that was all. No water changes, no getting the scraped algae out.

Here's a pic of it when we decided we'd start taking care of it:

IMAG0190.jpg

I've never taken care of a saltwater before. I'm pretty knowledgeable about freshwater, but in comparison freshwater seems super simple compared to all that can be done with salt.

Slowly but surely we've gotten most of the nasty algae out from the wall scrapings, i took some soft bristles to the live rock to get some of the algae off that couldn't be gotten with a turkey baster. Overall, it's looking a lot nicer now. All the levels are fine and there's now some life: handful of hermit crabs, turbo snails and a damsel. In a couple weeks, we're going to do another cleaning (getting more of the algae scrapings out and cleaning 3 of the other rocks a little more).

Overall setup is really basic:
55 gallon cube tank.
marineland emperor 280 filter
heater
stock light

Until we're ready to shell out money for lights, this will be a fish/liverock tank.

Questions:
1. what are some basic musts I may be missing that I should check for before going further?
2. I'm aware that damselfish are territorial/aggressive. I may return it once we're ready to put other fish in. We put it in to make sure we can even take care of it though before shelling out money for more expensive guys. What are some alternative low-cost (sub $30/40) fish that we can stock the tank with that would be friendly with future mates?
3. Are there other interesting things like feather dusters to add to rocks for interest?

Those damsel will not come out of your tank easy.

With water changes your gonna want to change out at least 5 gallons a week, maybe even more, its just yuck.

Buy some ammonia, ph nitrite and nitrate tests and a refractometer for salinity

I would hold off on any more live stock until you test your water, i can only assume its bad.

Also i would suggest a protein skimmer and get rid of the canister filter, its more for freshwater.

This is an expensive hobby, i suggest you research, research, research.
That will save you some money in the long run, this site has quite a few articles that would be worth checking out. :) best of luck

well, like I said, I had changed out a good bit of the water (30% ish). I've gotten a lot of the gunk off the floor, and all levels are fine (ph/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/salt level).

The pic was more-so a "before" pic. Haven't taken a pic yet of its current status.

Questions:
1. what are some basic musts I may be missing that I should check for before going further?

As Kelz mentioned a protien skimmer would be a good investment, as well as some powerheads. Unless you left anything out on your setup, it looks like there's no circulation at all currently besides the canister filter.

First thing is first -- you need to test your water for the basics.

Temperature
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
pH

Get yourself a thermometer, refractometer (for salinity) and test kits for the rest of the parameters. You shouldn't add any more livestock until you test and know where things stand.

Keep up with regular water changes -- 10% to 20% of the tank's volume every week or every other week.

Also, as others have mentioned, you should get some powerheads for water movement. The tank needs more flow.

Good luck, and welcome to the site! :)

lol - I think people have missed me saying twice now, that I have a test kit, and have tested the water as of lately, and all levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/php/salinity are fine.

Noted on the powerheads though and skimmers.
Recommendations??

For water circulation, you can look at Koralia's if you're on a budget

If you don't mind dropping the extra $$$ take a look at Vortechs by EcoTech Marine, worth every penny in my opinion

Remember we like actual numbers. Your ok, my ok, and everyone else's ok may be different.

If we see an actual number we can get a better idea of where your at ;)

You should get a test kit.

Joking :mrgreen:

+1 everyone..ditch the emperor filter; it's better off being used in freshwater.

New pics would be great :D

And make sure you're using RODI or distilled water for water changes and top offs. Treated tap water is also another one left best for freshwater.

Back