Where is my saltwater going?

SaltyReef

Reefing newb
I have a 92 gallon tank with lots of live rock, coral, 2 clown fish, 2 gobys... but I notice on my red line on my sump, the water gets low every other day, atleast I add about 2 gallons of saltwater every other day (that is about almost 8 gallons a week)...to top it back up to my sump line. Can anyone tell me why it seems I go through a gallon a day, and where my water is going? I have no leaks... so i am confused....please help :frustrat:

It's evaporation....when did you last check your salinity? YOu're supposed to top off with fresh water.....

I figure it was evap, it just seems like a lot of water, I checked my saltwater level and it's 1.025... but I never top it with freshwater, i have saltwater in 55 gallon drums, that is prepared a month in advance, and I test it once a week.... it dials in perfect for both my tanks

Check all your fittings with a flash light and your hand for salt creep, thats the sign of a leak of saltwater. If you find what you think is a leak, wrap a paper towel around it and see if the towel gets wet in a day or so.

THANKS....My other tank (55 gallon) I add about a gallon a week, and my 92 gallon only been up for a couple of months, and I am adding about a gallon a day... I will check all my fittings, and look for any leaks and salt creeps

Hydrometer, and test my water with saltwater kit

You mean that plastic thing with the swing arm in it???

YOu need to check it with a refractometer....

Those hydrometer things only last about 6 months...which is where you are at. I would have the lfs check your salinity and buy a refractometer.

I am beginning to love this fourm, Thank you.... Yes I have been using one of those plastic hydrometers, I will check on getting a refractometer....Thanks

WTH those things go bad after 6 months.

I use a Refractometer but sometimes I just wish I had one to dip in the tank when I am short on time. I know it takes only a minute but I lost my dropper that came with it so I have to use a straw ughh.

Then sometime depending on the light I have at the time it is easier to read and more clear.

Anyone else notice the readings line seems less perfect than others depending on the light source or angle the light hits it. I did focus it so it isn't that. I just wish it came with a built in light so the reading was in HD all the time.

Oh yeah I would not be topping off with Saltwater unless I was low on salt. I top with salt to raise my salinity if it ever gets low.

I have salt creep once in a month by one of my quick connects on the PVC but it is so small and I never see water. I mostly get salt creep on the top of my sump. I am pretty sure it is the result of a spill but that stuff shows up in weird spots sometimes.

Last edited:
I just dip the whole end of it in the tank and close the little cover under the water, hold a towel under it and read it in the light, simple. They do make them with a backlight in them, runs on little batteries, but you can imagine what the salt does to the batts....

WTH those things go bad after 6 months

The cheap plastic ones do, the ones that work with a little plastic arm in them that floats, no good.

I was never told the hydrometer goes bad in 6 mos, but at least I know my fish and corals are happy, but I will look into a refracometer, I been learning so much in about six months and I am happy for all your help.... Thanks....:wave:

When you're topping off your evaporated water, you should be topping off with fresh RO/DI water.

When water evaporates from a tank, ONLY the water evarporates, the salt stays in the tank....so if you continue to top off with saltwater you're going to change your salinity levels everytime you add top off water.

1+ PRC and others.

LET'S BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR HERE: Topping off with salt water will --in a relatively short space of time-- KILL everything in your tank.
When water evaporate the salt does not evaporate with it. The water gets gets more saline and adding more salt water only makes it worse.

Top off with RO/DI water only except on the rare occasion that you want to make you water a little more saline.

+1 Everyone.

If you check out this link, and scroll down some, there is a picture of two hydrometer. Both are reading the same water and you can see how different their readings are. Also, there is no way to assure that the earlier reading are accurate.

https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

But good new is, you can get a refractometer quite cheaply off ebay. Just make sure to get the calibration oil that reads for saltwater. You will have a life long friend in that piece of equipment.

I figure it was evap, it just seems like a lot of water, I checked my saltwater level and it's 1.025... but I never top it with freshwater, i have saltwater in 55 gallon drums, that is prepared a month in advance, and I test it once a week.... it dials in perfect for both my tanks

So again I will ask. What salininty are you mixing your salt water at?

Back