which filter?

Christine

Reefing newb
I'm debating on which canister filter to use. I've found two on Amazon. One is an Aquatop cf400 UV 4-stage 370gph for $89.95. The other is a Fluval 405 340gph for $119.95. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be best for my 55 gallon tank? I'd appreciate any input!

Most people run a combination of live rock and a quality skimmer. Run 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon. It has all sorts of good bacteria on it and helps reduce nitrates. Canisters can collect the fish poop and cause high nitrates if not cleaned weekly.

Ok, so no filter, but plenty of live rock and a good skimmer. It seems that every one that I talk to does things differently. Some say no skimmer...good filter. Others say no sump...quality skimmer.
:frustrat:

They are a wonderful place for biological media in a freshwater setup. But with saltwater it is best to use live rock and a protein Skimmer to take the broken down solid particles out before they turn into nitrates

Canister filters are often pushed by people who have freshwater set ups or run a LFS. A skimmer is a one time purchase, but a canister filter requires continual purchases of media and are better for a LFS bottom line.

Back