Which fish for a 3rd fish in reef tank?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
So I have a 55 gallon tank with custom 10 gallon sump and 100+ lbs. of live rock. Currently I have 2 clownfish which have become a mated pare. I have some small zoanthid corals that came on one of the live rocks and am planning on getting more corals.

Anyways, for a third fish I was wondering what would be a good choice to someone relatively new to saltwater aquariums. I have been doing a pretty good job with my clownfish so far, they are happy and healthy. So what would be some good fish? I look at lists for beginner fish that are reefs same and most of what I see is clowns, gobies and blennies, and honestly I'd like some more variety. I really want a coral beauty, but I've heard sometimes they nip at corals? Butterfly fish look awesome too but they are not reef safe.

Start looking toward a Tang. I have Yellow, A Naso, A Vlamingi. Not a one touches my corals, and they like to eat algea too!

P6160002.jpg

Here is my old 55. The yellow tang was like 4 years old when this was taken. I still have him in my 120.

The tank will be too small for a tang eventually, so unless you're gonna upgrade sometime soon, I would leave the tang out...You could get some sort of blenny, or a few firefishes, or a few chromis, etc...something small that will not mess your water quality up like a tang will.

Yeah I just got this tank a couple months ago so I won't be upgrading for a while. What about the coral beauty though, I really like them.

You could try a coral beauty.May not have the first problem.You just need to know that the chance is there.But IMHO,That goes for ANY fish you add.

I have a coral beauty that has never touched corals, but you run a 50/50 chance of an angel eating corals.

How about red or purple firefish? They are unique looking and colorful.

There are very few tangs that would be okay in a 55. A yellow tang would probably be okay, as would a yellow eye kole tang, but other tangs would get way too big quickly.

Well I got two fish today, a blue spotted watchman goby and a royal gramma basslet. The only thing is, they both are hiding lol, they will come back out after getting comfortable in the tank right?

Also, one that looked cool that they had at petco was a atlantic blue tang, however the guy there said they weren't reef safe but online it says they are:
Atlantic Blue Tang

so what is the truth?

They are reef safe, but you wouldn't be able to keep one in a 55. They need much larger tanks.

It may take your fish a few days to come out of hiding. They usually need a little time to adjust to their new home. You can try feeding them, see if that entices them to come out.

Well the goby was still hiding yesterday in the back area behind the rocks but today when I was feeding the other fish he came out and now he is coming out a lot lol I suppose he is probably hungry. I found it easiest to feed him with a turkey baster. The royal gramma is less shy now too which is good, still not as bold as the clownfish though hehe.

14550_1182771658727_1511280358_30602815_2480537_n.jpg

14550_1182771778730_1511280358_30602818_8349102_n.jpg

Back