which return pump?

advocate777

Reefing newb
Hi everyone-
I had a 75 gallon saltwater tank with Live Rock and a MegaFlow sump and a protein skimmer set up when i lived in S. Florida from 2006-2009.
I had to break down the tank which sat unused from 2009-2012.
Now, living in Southeastern Pennsylvania I am setting up the tank again and want to have tank with soft corals.
I am checking out my old parts- some dont work. The first think I need is a return pump. I used to have a Danner Mag drive but I do not know what I should buy to replace it. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to the site.
I have a Danner mag 9.5 for my 70 gallon high and it is working well. Are you looking for a submersible or exterior pump. There are the Quiet One pump as well as the Danners. Possibilities are numerous. Exterior pumps tend to be pricy and a little loud.

It will be a submersible in my MegaFlow sump. It has to pump up about 3 or 4 feet. I went to the Eheim site but could not read the liters versus gallons so I could not figure out which model would be best for my 75 gallon tank.

I've used Eheim, MagDrive and Rio Hyperflow pumps. In my experience, the MagDrives run hot, but they are reliable. The Hyperflows are cheap, but not as reliable as the others. The Eheims are the best of the three I've used, IMO.

Back