Which tank?

Tex288

Reefing newb
I plan to set up a new Salt Water tank for the first time, I have kept fresh water for the past 6-7 years and have decided to try a salt water tank.

I have an unused 42 gallon hexagonal shaped and a 45 gallon rectangualr tank. Would both be good for a first time tank and if so what filtration would you recommend?
I plan on having a few "beginner fish and beginner coral". I have been looking at them on liveaquaria.com.

This forum has already helped so much but still a little lost on the filtration on lighting.

well for me a great beginner skimmer was my reef octopus
and 2 T5 30inch lamps and little tip get a good heater

I have been looking at the T5 lighting systems and the Marineland LED ones, I use the marineland lights on all my freshwater tanks.

I also, read here some people dislike the marineland but others say they work well.

Your filtration comes from the bacteria that colonize on your live rock and sand. And of course, a good skimmer. Either tank would work. As far as lighting, the Kessil A350 that I'm using has given me great results. I adore it. I just said I adore a light.... silly reefer...

Last edited:
For lighting, I'd recommend either T5s or LEDs. How deep is either tank? I'd say minimum I'd do is a 4bulb T5HO fixture. But, then again, thats if you plan on keeping SPS, and even then I'd only keep them at the top :p. Aquatraders.com has good prices on Odyssea T5HO fixtures. They are Chinese made, so people say they are crappy, but I have one, and it's been perfectly fine. Nice coral growth out of it on a 26g Bowfront. Just make sure you do your research for fish compatibility. And remember, one fish per 10 gallons! :)

Thanks for the info.
So with the tank, basically just hang a protein skimmer on the back and let the live rock/sand filter everything?

I plan on having 4 fish and a some polyp type coral just to get a feel for it all.

Thanks for the info.
So with the tank, basically just hang a protein skimmer on the back and let the live rock/sand filter everything?

Basically ... you'll also have to do regular water changes as part of your maintenance.

I was looking at the 30 or 36" T5 HO lights. They have 4 bulbs and 2 or 3 LED moonlights. Is this is a good setup?

I believe the lights are 2pc T5 HO 12000k bulb and 2pc T5 HO Actinic bulb, along with the Moon LEDs

Depending on quality, that would work well for LPS, if not some SPS placed in the right spots. And that's a good bulb combination, it should bring out the colours fairly well.

From my perspective it really comes down to which tank you decide to go with as to which light you chose, as well as what you want to do with the tank. A hex tank is going to be deeper and need something that will offer adequate coverage and penetrate deep. I'd go with something like the kessil for the hex tank. A t5 or other full length fixture will be fine for rectangular tanks. I wouldn't go with the marineland fixture on a tank that is taller than about 16" as I don't think it provides good light penetration. If you go with the t5, you'll want at least a 4-6 bulb fixture if you plan to house LPS corals and at least a 6 bulb fixture if you want a lot of SPS, clams, or anemones as they require strong lights (as well as stable, mature tanks). Modular LED fixtures are popular and good at keeping most corals (though there are several complaints about acans and brain corals with red hues turning orange under these lights as they don't have the full range of UV spectrum lighting that is offered by t5 lights - but if you don't really care about having red acans in your tank then that isn't a big deal. The modular LEDs tend to be more cost effective in the long run because you don't have to change the bulbs every 6-9 months. I guess it really depends on what you are looking to do wtih your tank, what shape and depth tank you go with, and how much money you can foot up front. If you are undecided, you can always get started with just a cheap PC fixture and then get a decent light down the road when you are ready to get your first corals. If you want a fish only tank then the light isn't as much of a consideration.

Anyhow, hopefully this was helpful and not overwhelming!

And welcome :)

Thanks FishyReef, that helps a lot.
I have decided I am going with the rectangular tank unless this guy has his 46 gallon bowfront for sale still. I think the T5s will be the best option for me right now and maybe later on a good LED setup.

As far as corals, I will probably do some mushroom type and colony/button polyps until I have a bit more experience. I believe I have read they are good for beginners.

That sounds good!
Thanks everyone for all the info. It has helped a lot! I'm sure I will have more questions too.
Once I get it setup I will be sure to post some pics.

Back