White stingy poop

Cat

Reefing newb
Purchased an ocellaris clown from my LFS 5 days ago. Today I saw a white stringy 1/2inche thing hanging from his underbelly for about a minute before it fell off. He's been eating about 4 large pellets a day, wont eat any of the brine shrimp or other types of pellets i offer him. I don't know if this is a normal amount for clown to eat, he's only about an inch long. Pretty sure he's eating copepods of the glass too, I know he's at least trying to.
Does this indicate worms? or something else?

Thanks for any advice.

Ya, that is a sure sign of internal parasites. Parazapro (?) is a good fish dewormer, but make sure you read the directions VERY CAREFULLY! Miss application of medicines is an easy way to crash your tank.

Also, brine has no nutritional value. I would offer mysid, shrimp, scallops, squid etc. A variety of froozen foods is the best you can feed.

Thank you. Will this medication hurt anything else in my tank? Ex. hermit crabs or shrimp? I don't have any corals yet.

I've spoken to the company that makes Prazipro, and they say it's reef safe...BUT, it would kill off worms -- which means featherdusters, bristles, and other good worms. I would never medicate a display tank. Too many risky factors.

I would say leave him alone to fight it, but he's already not eating as it is. I'd say qt him and treat, but again, if he's not eating, he might already be weak.

We have also tried feeding him chopped up fresh scallop and he seems really interested at first but will spit it right back out. I also have to break up the pellets or else he spits them back out too. He did the same thing will the brine shrimp the first time we tried feeding him that. Don't know if that makes any difference. I will still go get him the medication tomorrow.

Ill and stressed fish often dont eat. But if he is showing interest that is very good. Treat him and leave him in the qt for a bit until he is eating.

Good luck!

He does seem to be doing good otherwise. He's very active and swims all over the tank. He also hangs out in the current and seems to be catching copepods there.

If he is only an inch long the pellets may also be to big for him. Try some frozen mysis, thaw it in a cup of tank water, and squirt it in the tank with an eye dropper, medicine dropper, or turkey baster.

Back