Why does my starfish stay at the top

tp1011

Reefing newb
Ok got my 2nd shipment TBS and I have a few ? there are about 4 snails that stay at
the top of the tank and the starfish stays at the top too.What is the reason for this.

My levels are ok ammonia 0 - .25, nitrite .25 -.50, ph 7.8 - 8.0 salinity 1.026

I have a Kessil 350

It is a 29 BC and I will do a 2.5 gal WC tomorrow afternoon.

any advice would be awesome

I attached a pic of my tank

thank you

Attachments

• photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 920
How long has the tank been setup for? What are your nitrate readings? If your tank has fully cycled you should have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites...Is the tank new, or have you made any recent changes to it that may have cause a cycle?

Inverts are all very sensitive to water parameters, so this may be why they are at the top of the tank...? I would do a water change asap, and use Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite until the cycle is complete. Other more experienced members may be able to help as well...

The TBS system is a little different, it's unsurprising that you have ammonia, but you should still do a water change.

Many snails will hang out at the water line because they are intertidal creatures and would naturally hang out around the water line.

Tank looks really nice btw!

my choc . chip star will go to the top of the water for a little bit, even going out of the water a little bit, but he always goes back down into the water. I will normally give it food when he's up there.

I have had live sand in it since 1st or 2nd week of january. Then I put about 15 lbs of LR from TBS in it about 3 weeks ago. On Tuesday I put my cuc and another 15 lbs of LR 2 anemones and 3 sponges. My ammonia is 0 -.25, nitrate is through the roof at 80+ppm and my nitrite is about .25 - .50

Today I did a 20% wc hoping that will help I also added about a a cap of Prime

Grozier what do you feed your starfish

Frozen foods mostly. I'll just drop it on him while he is up top. He will press on to the glass and consume it or if he is on the sand bed I will place it next to him and he will over it.

Back