Why is my water getting so salty?

Amazz

Reefing newb
I add about half a gallon of RO freshwater daily to the sump of my 90 gallon saltwater aquarium. I drew a line with permanent marker to indicate the appropriate water level. Sure enough, the level goes down about a half a gallon daily. Why after a week is my water considerably saltier. It seems to go from 1.025 to 1.03 in a week even though I'm keeping the water level the same by adding the freshwater. Does it have something to do with fish respiration/digestion/something else?

Just a cheapo plastic SeaTesT Full Range Specific Gravity Meter. While it's likely not the most accurate tool on earth, it surely shows my water getting saltier over time. Are those refractometers recommended? I'm starting to shop for improvements in many areas.

that should be fine. Are you sure you are adding freshwater to the tank? it shouldnt be getting saltier, and I cant think of a reason why it would do so.

that should be fine. Are you sure you are adding freshwater to the tank? it shouldnt be getting saltier, and I cant think of a reason why it would do so.

Positive. It either comes out of my tap and I add dechlorinator or from the store. It's really strange and not my imagination because I have been tracking it for about a month. Oh well. Maybe just one of those weird undescribable things.

You should switch to a refractometer. Those plastic swing-arm hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so, and right out of the box have accuracy problems. You can get a refractometer for around $30, and you don't have to replace it, so it's a good buy.

I dont get that specific with it. I test to make sure the new water is within the blacked out area of the hydrometer and if it is that's all I do. I top off with fresh every day or so. I rarely ever test my tank water.

My concern for you would be using tap water with dechlorinator, if you do that for a long period of time you may start to see algae issues.

tap the hydro real good to get the air bubbles out. one little air bubble will mess up the reading. also might want to stop using tap water switch to r/o or distiled water

Back