Why??? Tell Mw Why???

Doc

I don't work for anybody
ok, WTF! I found a carpet surfing anthia this morning, all nice and crispy. Why do they jump? I am down to just a single Bartlett now. what is the deal? I don't get it. are they just not happy? it is pissing me off. I guess I am not worth of these fish. I am not going to add any more tho. bastards

-Doc

Doc, I've been resisting adding egg-crate to my tank (hate the look and the added inconvenience of having to remove it whenever I feel like getting a manicure from Patty the Cleaner Shrimp)... but today, I was going to go out and buy 3 of these beauties (since everybody said to avoid the Hawkfish...). Sigh... I guess I'll just do the safe thing and buy some more cool corals (toadstools are my current obsession).... sorry to hear about your loss...

I lost one Bartlett from carpet surfing Doc.That was enough for me to learned my lesson.They and all anthias are skittish like that,I suppose.I've had Carberryi and Dispars do the same thing.Luckily,I was there to scoop them back up.They sell a plastic screening at Lowe's that look kinda like covering for a air conditioner vent.It allows light to penetrate much better than crappy eggcrate.

I paid $50 each for my original three.Of course now I have two.Doc mentioned they were only $30 in Utah.In Arizona,Biff says they run $70 each.They are pretty expensive for a small fish.

I knew Wrasses jump, but i didn't expect Anthias to do so too. I was thinking on maybe picking one up, since i like their colors and such, but i guess they are not worth it, plus it seems they are pretty expensive. I don't have an eggcrate, just a glass cover, and so far my wrasses haven't attempted to commit suicide...
But i guess there must be something in your tank that either frightens them or they must love your tank soo much...that they want to expand...haha

yeah. they are expensive. you really do need to add more than one to keep the existing anthias from kicking the sh!t out of them when they are put in. they tend to get along after a week or so, but the first few days can kill them. I had no idea they jumped. Never heard of that. Bastards. I just hope the one I have left will make it. I smell a foxface in my future...

-Doc

Any fish thats naturally skittish will jump when its spooked.The problem is though,that in our living rooms they dont have a whole ocean to land in.
Hate to hear about your anthias though.

I haven't had any anthia jumpers yet. Just ones that seem to evaporate into thin air (or water). I don't even bother trying to recover bodies in my tank. This whole anthia experiment has been challenging and trying on my patience and wallet too.

If you do not intend to cover the tank then you need to stay with middle and bottom dwellers. a lot of fish will take a run to the top in mating rituals and some even leave the water, also if any insects land in the water, meal time. If you have an open top you may consider building a four sided top without the top to extend the distance above the water surface that they have to jump to get out. just a thought. since i have an enclosed hood occasionally I hear a thunk, usually when lights are out. everything still there though. good luck

I lost 2 firefish gobies and a bar goby to carpet-surfing...took myself 3 times to learn the hard way! I had my water level down almost 2 inches below the top of the glass...maybe they pole vaulted?!

i had two purple firefish jump. when i noticed they were gone i lifted mu hood and there they were cooked by the lights.

i feel you (and I like it). fish are my greatest stress, but oh....it is why I do this as well, so...on with the show. I mean, hell, it is only money, right?

-Doc

Reef,

Can you post a link or description of this plastic screening at Lowe's that you're referring to? Wandering into those places looking for something like plastic screening always brings forth that image of Tom Anderson eternally lost in the Home Warehouse store during a Beavis & Butthead episode many years ago...

Thanks!!

Sorry I don't Kevin.
I saw a thread on another site and that aquarist got it at Lowe's.I tried to find that thread but I couldn't remember.

Back