window shopping

Satyr

Reefing newb
im toying with the idea of getting into saltwater again. id love to but its so expensive. might have to save up for this. say i wanted to go with something simple to start out with, easy up keep, easy start up. if i wanted just a couple of nice colorful fish, or even just one fish, would i need anything other than this stuff as far as equipment goes?:

29 gallon tank
lid
filter with sponge for physical filtration
a powerhead or two
livesand
a little bit of LR
two heaters, in case one fails
thermometer
dual t5 ho 30"

and stuff for water changes
bucket
salt
ro di system or something else
test kit
hydrometer

am i missing anything?

Last edited:
That should be enough for 2 or 3 small fish. You want to fill the tank with roughly 1/3 volume live rock. You can add just a few pieces live and have the rest dry rock and it will all be live eventually. Live sand helps a little but if you want to save money just buy regular sand and it will be live from the few pieces of live rock. Just be sure to keep up water changes with this simple setup - you probably want to change 25% weekly, or you could probably do biweekly if you just have one fish. I would also recommend a small powerhead and heater in the bucket of water for 48 hours to really mix the salt water well before water changes.

well i think i will start a saltwater-tank-fund and save up for one. i should start pricing equipment. what brand names would yall recommend for:

HOB filter?
heater? needs to be shatter proof right?
powerhead? what kind for my size tank?
ro di filter?
aquarium? is deep blue a good company?

Check your local craigslist ads for people getting out the hobby, or downsizing...you're bound to find a good deal.

Back