Wondering?

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
1geo said i should have quarentined my regal blue but i ordered him two weeks ago from the lfs and he stayed there for 10 days before i brought him home. wouldnt that have been considered a qt time for the fish before he was introduced to my tank. and also does anyone qt new fish before they intro them to their display tanks?:frustrat:

I dont, but thats just me. QT at home because the LFS could be using meds at that point too. A proper QT is about 6 weeks IMO

well unless the fish was in copper during those days, i dont really think ii would make any difference. The point of QT for new fish is to treat them before putting them in the main tank. If the fish was treated in medication, then your tank probably already had ich and since those tangs are so prone to ich, the smallest stress would cause it to get the parasite.

sorry about the double posts I have no idea how it got there twice. Im such a tard when it comes to these compuuters.:frustrat:

I understand the importance of a qt, I dont personally qt my fish. mostly reason being my fish i get are usually too big for a small qt and i dont buy fish all too oftern and dont wasnt to spend the money to run a qt. I roll dice.

I dont QT either.But I know that any fish I bring has been treated at the store.I also watch the fish while its at the store for 2 or 3 weeks.

Ok, it's time for another dumb question from Navarchus.

Why do people QT fish? What diseases are we trying to prevent? How are these diseases transmitted between fish? Is ick catchy? I once had a fish get ick. I never took him out of the display tank, and his ick went away. The other fish never got it. I've heard ick comes and goes like a common cold, and that all fish always have it, it just does not present itself or become a problem until water conditions are poor. If good water conditions make ick go away, why do we need to quarantine?

just because your water conditions are good doesnt not mean ich will go away. and worse, it could spread. there are a few reasons to put into consideration and dont feel dumb for asking. one of the most important things to consider is that the fish you purchase probably JUST came from the ocean so adjusting to new life in the house is a really tough thing and possibly fatal if they have ich or any other disease. being isolated in a tank is saving stress from other tankmates that may harass the newcomer making conditions worse. this is also a great environment for non competitive eating and target feeding to make sure the fish eats. that is one of the most important things when it comes to kicking disease aside from water quality. if its stressed in a tank full of fish and hiding its going to be hard for the fish to actually get the food it needs. and lastly of course you dont want your new fish possibly spreading disease to the rest of your tank and causing a whole world of problems. hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
But doesn't putting an angelfish or a tang in my small 20g QT tank cause more stress than just putting him directly in my large display tank?

they'll be stressed but if they are sick and being treated, a few weeks is not a big deal.

Ihave had a tang in a 10 gal for 6 weeks before and he was fine. a few weeks only is not too bad.

Once i had a sick clown in the QT for 3 weeks and she did not eat anything the whole time. But after she was treated, she was back. The QT saved her life.

Well, like others have said, if you already have fish in your display tank, and those fish have never been quarantined, quarantining any new fish you get will be pointless. They will be disease free when you finally add them to your display tank, but since your other fish are not disease free, they'll just pick up whatever the other fish have anyways.

I've never quarantined fish either. And I've had fish get ich on occasion, but they've always been able to beat it themselves without showing any symptoms except the spots. As long as you can keep them eating, they will probably be okay. I look at it as something that is found in nearly every tank (the exception, as I said, are tanks of people that quarantine every fish, every time), and more as something that comes and goes but 99% of the time, does not present a problem to an otherwise healthy animal.

Back