Woohoo!

Epos

Reefing newb
After 6 hours of clunking around getting my freshwater stock and rocks out of my tank, cleaning it outside with a rag and a 2 gallon bucket of water, throwing out all of my old mechanical filtration, and finally putting the aquarium upstairs in my room and filling it with water, my first saltwater aquarium is now up and running! I want to thank Yote very much for his donation of a protein skimmer and his great advice on setting up. Many thanks Yote.

Any time bud.
You must have slung those plants and ciclids through the door this morning.Toss and haul ass:mrgreen:

Yes they were out of my tank and in the fish store in about 15 minutes, I think John had them fed to the lionfish. I checked ph and salinity/specific gravity. Ph at 8.4 in tank, comes out of my tap at 7.8 so I think the Oceanic salt is perfect. Specific gravity/salinity at 1.0255, a little high I think isn't it?

SG at 1.025 sounds alright to me. Did you use tap water to mix your salt or did Yote hook you up with his water store<walmart>?

Nope.That salinity is perfect.I keep mine at 1.026.You'll just have to remember to take your time on acclimation when you start stocking.The salinity is always low at the store.
Now just get your sand and some rock,and you'll be on your way to being a reefer:D

Epos is one of those lucky few that has pretty good tap water:grumble:lucky dawg.:mrgreen: He's on the same system as the store(who also uses tap).
But yeah,you'd still be better off to use the RO water out of the Culligan machine at wal-mart.That way you wont get the diatom outbreaks like happens pretty regular at the store.

And Austin,next day you work.Bring your hydrometer in and check it againt the refractometer at the store.That way we'll know exactly where its reading.

I took my 26-bowfront down to go salt with. I will also be hooking up my 30 gallon tank for a refugium/sump eventually, but I'd say that's a ways off.

Bad news, forgot to mention the powerhead fell off the skimmer when I was carrying it up the stairs last night. I think it's fixable with silicon but John's going through some kind of skimmer powerhead ordeal at the store and said he can probably get a powerhead off of a bigger superskimmer that we can use straight or muffle to use on the skimmer you gave me.

I believe only the part where the intake portion of the impeller housing is. Kind of hard to describe but if none of the internal workings are damaged all i'll have to do to fix it is use silicon or water-resistant glue to reattach this part of the powerhead so that the entire housing doesn't spin with the impeller.

Congrats on your first tank. Be careful, it's addicting ... and really hard to explain to the wife and friends!

You might try super glue gel. I, and many others, use it to attach corals to rocks or plugs, so it will be OK in the tank and works under water.

Thanks light, I'm aware of how addicting it is, I couldn't stop when I got my first freshwater when I was 12. And after today all I want to do is go work all week until I have enough money to stock the thing.

Back